I'm a newbie in the forums and FTP/DNS, can someone help??

• offspring_rancid
  • offspring_rancid
  • Loc: Bergen, Norway

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, i need help to put up a ftp from my own PC out to the net, i donno how to do it, so I'm asking for help here!
what do i need to get it up and etc.
anyone who are pro in this please PM or just post here! (contact in AIM and MSN is also very great)

Thanks dudes and dudettes!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use SmartFTP (free download here)
http://download.com.com/3000-2160-10190 ... ag=lst-0-1

You will need the ftp hostname to ftp to, the username and the password of wherever the hosting is you have. (where you will upload your stuff to)
  • offspring_rancid
  • offspring_rancid

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
I use SmartFTP (free download here)
http://download.com.com/3000-2160-10190 ... ag=lst-0-1

You will need the ftp hostname to ftp to, the username and the password of wherever the hosting is you have. (where you will upload your stuff to)

thanks, but.. i need to know some addresses to host from my own PC, anyone how knows much about this? (hosting from own PC) plaese contact me!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

offspring_rancid

Your post is not very clear what you need. If you are using a translator, try to find someone who can give a better translation. At the moment, it is very difficult to understand what you want to do. I am inclined to think like musik. It looks like you are trying to find a host for your pages and the method to upload your pages from your computer via FTP?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought it sounded like he wanted to host those files on his home PC, and make them available via ftp download. In order to accomplish this goal he required two things; an ftp server program and an "address" for the other person to connect to.

I am guessing it's windows, so perhaps Rose's FTP program will do the job. (If not try this: http://download.com.com/3000-2165-10276430.html
As for an address to connect to, you can always run (in a dos box/VM/Command Prompt -- whichever title you prefer), ipconfig /all .

This will show you your dynamically assigned IP, which someone can then connect to, while you are online. I am assuming a great deal here of course. That you have the one machine online through dial-up, or your broadband does not have a NAT device in front of your main system.

If when you do the ipconfig /all command, you see any address that begins with 192.168... then you are natted, and we must rethink the issue.

My $.02.

Cheers.

(Really, I just wanted to break that message threshold to get he heck out of "student" status. :) )
  • offspring_rancid
  • offspring_rancid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
I thought it sounded like he wanted to host those files on his home PC, and make them available via ftp download.

he knows what i'm on about! ;) anyone real good at this *plum*??

BTW i haven't read ur post yeat, it might be good egnogh.. :)

and another BTW i don't use transltor, like i said, i'm a newbie and don't know how to describe very well about what i want.. sorry! :oops:
  • offspring_rancid
  • offspring_rancid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
If when you do the ipconfig /all command, you see any address that begins with 192.168... then you are natted, and we must rethink the issue

i dont get that address.. but, i get all these:

Code: [ Select ]
Fysicle address.....................: 00-0D-88-BC-B3-C8
DHCP activated......................: Yes
Audyomatic Configeration activated..: yes
Ip-Address..........................: 10.0.0.6
Networksmask........................: 255.255.255.0
Standerd Gateway....................: 10.0.0.1
DHCP server.........................: 10.0.0.1
DNS-servers.........................: 217.13.7.140
  1. Fysicle address.....................: 00-0D-88-BC-B3-C8
  2. DHCP activated......................: Yes
  3. Audyomatic Configeration activated..: yes
  4. Ip-Address..........................: 10.0.0.6
  5. Networksmask........................: 255.255.255.0
  6. Standerd Gateway....................: 10.0.0.1
  7. DHCP server.........................: 10.0.0.1
  8. DNS-servers.........................: 217.13.7.140
  9.                    217.13.4.24

Thats what i get of addresses.. dose any of it help??
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, as I feared, you're natted. You have a class A non-routable IP, (anything in 10. range -- 192.168.x.x is the class B range for non-internet addressable).

That makes things more difficult.

If you have broadband, your edge device (cable/dsl router, dhcp device, "firewall", etc.), is providing you with an IP, (the 10. address). You must go into that edge device and forward port 20 and 21 requests to your backend IP.
In other words, and request made of your external IP, (perhaps in the 217. range, since that is where your DNS resolvers live -- wild guess there... or perhaps not. It seems your IP block is owned and operated by NextGenTel of Norway, who happen to be a XDSL provider.
Chances are, your edge device is their XDSL "modem", which commonly with xDSL providers, offers dhcp services. There is also quite usually, a method by which you can log in to the device, usually from an IP inside your network -- I would hazard a guess at 10.0.0.1, since that is your internal machines gateway, which should correlate to your 'modem'.
You -- usually -- log into that device via an http or https connection to that IP, authenticate -- all of this should be in your information package provided by your ISP, if not, for shame on them.

Then you will have the ability to alter the settings, which includes port forwarding. (Port forwarding is much as it sounds, since all higher layer functions operate across ports, or connection locations for specific tasks, you merely have to take any request bound for your external IP (in the 217 range perhaps) and forward it through this device to the backend IP, in this case 10.0.0.6. Just make sure you use all the ports associated with ftp, which are of course, 20 and 21.

I hope that made some sense, and please in the future try not to use foul language around here. It's not that it bothers me, per se, but some people it would, and it's not very professional. You are not likely to get much help in the future if that trend continues.

Cheers, and good luck.
  • offspring_rancid
  • offspring_rancid

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Well, as I feared, you're natted. You have a class A non-routable IP, (anything in 10. range -- 192.168.x.x is the class B range for non-internet addressable).

That makes things more difficult.

If you have broadband, your edge device (cable/dsl router, dhcp device, "firewall", etc.), is providing you with an IP, (the 10. address). You must go into that edge device and forward port 20 and 21 requests to your backend IP.
In other words, and request made of your external IP, (perhaps in the 217. range, since that is where your DNS resolvers live -- wild guess there... or perhaps not. It seems your IP block is owned and operated by NextGenTel of Norway, who happen to be a XDSL provider.
Chances are, your edge device is their XDSL "modem", which commonly with xDSL providers, offers dhcp services. There is also quite usually, a method by which you can log in to the device, usually from an IP inside your network -- I would hazard a guess at 10.0.0.1, since that is your internal machines gateway, which should correlate to your 'modem'.
You -- usually -- log into that device via an http or https connection to that IP, authenticate -- all of this should be in your information package provided by your ISP, if not, for shame on them.

Then you will have the ability to alter the settings, which includes port forwarding. (Port forwarding is much as it sounds, since all higher layer functions operate across ports, or connection locations for specific tasks, you merely have to take any request bound for your external IP (in the 217 range perhaps) and forward it through this device to the backend IP, in this case 10.0.0.6. Just make sure you use all the ports associated with ftp, which are of course, 20 and 21.

I hope that made some sense, and please in the future try not to use foul language around here. It's not that it bothers me, per se, but some people it would, and it's not very professional. You are not likely to get much help in the future if that trend continues.

Cheers, and good luck.

thanx.. i'll see what i can do.. :) if i get it up, i'll credit u! lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts