Newer then a newbie in website design/servers

• bulldog_bones
  • Born
  • Born
  • bulldog_bones

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have my own website I have had it for a while but never got around to making anything out of it. Now I want to make my own page but...... I have no idea what I am doing. Here is my WP http://www.beachroe.com it was bought for me through godaddy and i played with there start up WP creator but its lame. I have front page and Adobe Illistrator so I have programs to create stuff but I have no idea how to upload or create a server. What do I need to get my stuff in adobe to the web. Ive heard of using apache 2 but have no idea when it comes to creating a server. HELP :?: :?: :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you buy a hosting package? http://www.beachroe.com is just a domain - you need some kind of web hosting package that gives you space to upload your files.
  • bulldog_bones
  • Born
  • Born
  • bulldog_bones

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I didnt buy a hosting package. Since I own the domain. Cant I host my own website? Using a dedicated personal computer or my server at my office? Im not trying recreate Google, I just want to have a website to play with and put some pics on.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The server is already running provided by Godaddy. One way to upload your files is by FTP. Most people use FTP clients. I always FTP by hand.

For example:

C:\>ftp 192.168.0.200
Connected to 192.168.0.200.
220 queyosepa.queyosepa.local FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
User (192.168.0.200:(none)): don2007
331 Password required for don207.
Password:
230 User don2007 logged in.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> put client.html
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'client.html'.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 3071 bytes sent in 0.02Seconds 191.94Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... I'm confused now. You said you didn't buy a hosting package but the website now says:
Quote:
If you are the owner of this web site you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site.

You can host your own website if you wish to. You'll need to set up your own server and point your domain at your server's IP address. (for this, you'll need a static IP address, unlike what most ISPs provide)

If GoDaddy already provides you with web space, you can use an FTP client like Don2007 suggested - FileZilla is a good client to start with.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts