Next generation is for the Cloud?

• Sabryan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sabryan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Could anyone rely on the clouds some years ago? And nowadays we have an innovation that can save much time and lots of money.

A cloud service has three distinct characteristics that differentiate it from traditional hosting. It is sold on demand, typically by the minute or the hour; it is elastic - a user can have as much or as little of a service as they want at any given time; and the service is fully managed by the provider.

Cloud computing customers do not generally own the physical infrastructure serving as host to the software platform in question. They consume resources as a service and pay only for what they really use.

Cloud computing is criticized for limiting the freedom of users and making them dependent on the cloud computing provider. Even if data are securely stored in a cloud, many factors can temporarily disrupt access to the data, such as network outages, denial of service attacks against the service provider, and a major failure of the service provider infrastructure.

In spite of the fact that cloud computing limits the freedom of users and makes them dependent on the cloud computing provider, it still remains a reliable service accessible anywhere that provides access to networking infrastructure.

If anyone has some ideas, please share here...
Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Isn't the model you describe the way it was done when networks first started getting connected together to form the Internet ?

I've only been around for maybe 7 years, but I seem to remember some of the older folks talking about usage being like you described.

I remember when I was a kid and wasn't allowed on the Internet unless my parents turned it on because you had to pay for every hour you were on the Internet.
  • casius
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sabryan,

I do respect you opinion, but I would totally disagree with you.
The cloud computing itself is with more accessibility and freedom.
Here is the facts why:
1. Have you dedicated server. You will get limit of your webspace, CPU, RAM updates will be like a nightmare (which will cause you a downtime)
2. To connect dedicated over KVM you will need to phone to DC to connect it, as with cloud you able to connect anytime to your system.
3. When dedicated crashes down only you can report that there is something wrong with the server, as with cloud you will have to restore the image and you alldone!
4. Upgrades like HDD was never easier than it is now! You just scroll the mouse how many GB you want.
5. The cloud itself is stable cause the whole system is monitored by DC and you do not need to add any additional monitoring stuff to your service.

We have developed new service powered with cloud trust me it works and works perfectly.

Still maybe I am wrong, but I guess freedom is in the cloud system.
Also regarding the model which you have stated it's more concerns Amazon which have (as we have tested) overloaded service and the money which you pay for it does not worth that much...That is only my opinion. Thank you.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to agree with Casius.

The benefits of cloud computing outweigh the negatives provided your requirements coincide with the architecture as developed. While there may be less wiggle room for customized environments, what classifies as 'custom' is fluctuating every day in favor of the client.

It's basically software as a service, so you get the benefits of a managed infrastructure, without the overhead of owning hardware. Even that concept is outdated since most hosts these days use VM's or LPARs to host dedicated 'nodes'.

As was mentioned, if you have an issue with a specific 'node', it's trivial to re-image a new 'node' with a previously created and saved image thus providing additional infrastructure in an ad hoc fashion.

I fail to see how it is limiting from your perspective as a prospective host. You have access to your images of all the software you employ and all your db exports. The only thing you can't migrate would be application server and db server configs. Which is something you would have to set up elsewhere anyway.

I don't know of service providers that sell cloud-based hosting on an hourly basis; the only fluctuating cost would be tiered bandwidth, which you should be able to slide up to the next level should you find yourself exceeding your package. From a node perspective, if you require more computing resources, you should be able to add/remove infrastructure as required.

So in short, it reduces cost, and provides as much resiliency as you are willing to pay for and as such can span several geographies should the concern be load balancing.

Joebert: Things were all hardwired, system-based computing in the early days. The 'net' was merely a conjoining of disparate and individual systems which made up the whole.

It's more like the shared systems contained in mainframes from many years ago; the distinction is the logical separation across frames instead of locked into the computing resources contained in a single frame.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts