NTFS & Unix Folder Sizes

• -->gm<--
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I uploaded a folder to my unix server.
The size of the folder and its contents is 7,198,681 bytes on xp ntfs.
On the unix server the size of the folder and contents is a couple of kb smaller, even though I think the upload was sucessfull.

Am i correct in assuming this is due to different cluster sizes on the platforms?

Is there any tool that I can use on xp that will show me what the size of the folder would be on unix?

I would like to know for file comparison & ftp upload checking...
My ftp client ws_ftp sometimes gets file integrity checking messed up.

Thanks,

Gareth
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked to see if there was any difference between my XP box and FreeBSD. The bytes are the same. I think there appears to be a difference when you convert bytes into KBs. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • -->gm<--
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Don,

Thanks for the reply.

I am interested in the flie size, because I want to compare the bytes locally and sever-side to confirm that the upload was sucessfull.

I have used lots of ftp clients both open source and paid.
I settled on ws_ftp pro because it seems to be the most reliable. I have file integrity enabled but am getting errors with files even after uploads were deemed sucessfull.
After an upload has completed if the number of bytes are identical on my side and server-side then I know all is good in the world! :lol:

Any ideas of software that would allow me to see folder size on xp as it would be on *nix, besides changin to fat32 partition, buyin a mac (soon) or installing *nix :?:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you're saying but I don't have a tool that will do what you want. I have never used an FTP client in my life. I have always used a command line interface, either from a DOS prompt or a Unix box itself. If you have a second windows box, you can retrieve the same files to it and check to see that they are what you uploaded in the first place. You never said what file types they were. Did you upload txt files, exe, pdf, or something else?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts