Is it okay to host content without the copyright permission?

• TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been working on a website that did movie, game, hardware reviews and previews.... Well i also wanted to have movie clips/trailers on my site, lots of them.
I decided to ask the tech support at my website host before i started uploading the videos. and here is how it went:

Tom Collins22:I have a question about ur policies
InfluxServer: Okay...
Tom Collins22: I know im not aloud to put music on my website but what about video
InfluxServer: If you own the copyright or have permission from the owner then its fine if not then No.

Tom Collins22: Im trying to put together a nother site that is about previews and reviews of movies games and hardware and i was wanting to put clips of movies and game play and even trailers
Tom Collins22: is ther a way i could work around that with clips of movies under so many minuts... I mean im pritty shure trailers are public domain..
InfluxServer: If you have permission from the copyright owners.
Tom Collins22: Well i mean im planing on covering a lot of ground and no copywright owner is gonna speak to me...
InfluxServer: Then you cant host the material
Tom Collins22: i dont plan on putting whole movies just like a 10 minut clip preview
InfluxServer: I have already answered your question, if you choose to run the risk it can end up like recent cases with suspension fee's and legal action
Tom Collins22: well with most music under 1 minut of the song is legal
InfluxServer: No.
InfluxServer: I have outlined OUR policies on these issues.
Tom Collins22: can i have a link because in ur TOS it just sais no music

InfluxServer: I have personally outlined out policy on the issues you have asked about and any sites found to abuse this will be termianted.
InfluxServer: End of issue.

Tom Collins22: so i would have to leave ur services to be able to run this site
InfluxServer: You would have to leave our services if you wish to break the law by hosting content without the copyright owners permission, thats correct
Tom Collins22: what if i just hosted trailers?
Tom Collins22: the little clips released by the movie companys witch promote the release date and what not?
InfluxServer: If you have permission from the copyright owners to host their content then its fine.
Tom Collins22: explain to me then how i get in contact witht he copyright owners?
Tom Collins22: and if i get this permission I post my little signed legal document for each movie and you cant do anything? as long as i stay within my bandwidth and follow all of ur rules?
InfluxServer: As long as you can proove you have permission for the content
Tom Collins22: ok say i make a video my self were im watching a nother video and i just happen to review the movie?
InfluxServer: Goodbye sir.
Tom Collins22: bye thanks for the help
Tom Collins22: what if I put a thing that said "All content copywrite their rightful owners"
Tom Collins22: and have a email were some one can request i take the movie down
InfluxServer: No

Now they wont talk to me.

So for one I wanted to know am I in the wrong here or is he.. Is it illegal to have a small 8 minut clip of a movie or even just traillers I find on the internet?
If im wrong and this is infact illegal and would get me and or them introuble please tell me... But if there wrong (seeing in how they wont budge) could you tell me a place that would be able to offer me these things..

1)Allow people to click on a link and video just start playing.
2)Must allow php, cgi, and have databases.
3) lotsa space and bandwidth (like 3 packages 1. 500mb space 1gig bandwidth 2. | 2.gigs of space and 4 gigs of trancfer . ||5 gigs space 10 gigs trancefer.... ) Something along those lines
4) I would like it for 15 bucks a month or less. ...
5)Good service low lag low downtime.

those are about all I need.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

unfortunately for you, he is correct. Unless you have express, written
permission from the copyright owners of photos, music, images,
video -- anything really -- you cannot post it on your own site. No
reputable host will allow you to do this.

The only thing you can do is try to get in contact with the copyright
owners, as he suggested. Email, phone, letters...whatever it takes.

Otherwise, you simply can't use.
  • TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are tv shows were they do reviews and give bad reviews on video do u realy think the copyright holder allowed them to do that?

And no one is explaining to me how i could talk to the copy right people... They dont exactly leave there email address phone or mail address on there movies.....

I mean i can see how he is correct but not everything adds up... Puting copyright images on a website is illegal but every one does it... I have many many microsoft images for my webnews on my site.. Its illegal to copy and past information from a website and put it on ur own.... But all this gets pushed aside if they put a little "all content copyright there respective creators" or some crap like that...
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i have told you is the law, and upheld in court numerous times.

All I can say at this point, since you obviously think something different,
is visit a lawyer. If you don't at least do that, then all you are
doing is taking a risk of being shut down, and sued.

Good luck with your site.
  • TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont wanna take a risk thats why i asked here... I just want some one to once and for all tell me why is a small video clip so much different then putting a copyright image on ur site or grabbing a copyrite article off of microsoft .com and saying this came from http://www.microsoft.com copyright by them .....
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

in those particular cases, companies like micorosoft, dell, linux, etc give
written permission on their websites for you to post and use their
images and logos. A LOT of sites and companies do this, because it is
free advertising for their company, service, or product.

Just because somethign is on the net, doesn't mean it's free reign. And
just because others take images, music, etc, doesn't mean it's right.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a risky business taking material, throwing it up on your site and just leaving original credit info.

A lot of times, this is acceptable, but that can only finally be decided in the eyes of the copyright holders. It is up to them whether or not you can really show their stuff on your site. Thus you must get permission from them.
  • TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok i have e-mailed mac.com trailers@mac.com and requested information on how to uptain the copyright holders approvel... weather or not they respond to me is a nother story.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why didn't you check the Terms of Use statement? (link found at bottom of tailers page)

I found this in there...

http://www.apple.com/legal/default.html#rights
  • TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

because it sais i cant reprint it.. but that still doesnt answer my question thats them copyrighting there trailers...

regardless this website http://wwwnew.towson.edu/adminfinance/o ... airUse.asp
tells me that it is completely legal as long as i use small puportions of the movie and use it for review/critisizm... And my site would be for reviel and some times for critisizm...

check it out and tell me what u think.... I sereously doubt mac will respond. and if they do not this week.

Quote:
Fair Use

The U.S. Constitution established the premise that copyright protected materials may be used without securing the permission from the copyright owner for the purposes of education, commentary, review, criticism and scholarship. Title 17, Section 107 of the Copyright Acts (1976) further defines Fair Use by describing four factors that can be used to determine whether a use of copyright protected materials is indeed a fair use.
and if u keep reading on at there site it supports my way of thinking even more...[/quote]
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's it matter what that site says? You host specifically stated that for you to have copywrited material on your site, you must first have consent from the copywrite owners.

Their server, their rules.

mac.com supplies a link to contact them via email about usage of their copyrighted matarial, so that is what you need to do.

How are you getting the copies of their movies anyway?
  • TomCollins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TomCollins

Post 3+ Months Ago

I buy new releases and i have a dvd player on my computer i have the free windows movie maker were i can slice 1 sceen from a movie and use it ... other then that i also had planed on useing online movie trailers for movies not out yet...

regardless i allready contacted mac and unless u give me the email i cant tell it realy exists..

and my website host is stupid.. they are just a few people who used to make e/n websites that said lets go start a server... they dont know anything about legal stuff they dont even own the server they pay some one for a reseller space they do all the work for them. Heck there TOS basicaly sais dont use anything u didnt make cuz something bad might happen..
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry tom, but you asked for an answer we both gave it to you. .

Your host gave you the same answer, and that is because it is the
RIGHT answer. Any further questions you may have in regard to using
copyrighted materials, please visit a lawyer as I already stated.

I have no idea what to suggest to you about contacting the copyright
owners because I have never done it, and would just be guessing.

This topic is locked.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts