My perfect host?

• Calimehtar
  • Calimehtar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all, I know what you're all thinking.. but no I'm not going to ask for a host :D

I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to finding a good host for myself; I usually got a free webhost to upload some useless stuff on, but now I'm looking for something more advanced.

What I'm asking you is, what do I need and how much should I be paying for that? Specifics:

- I'm going to build simple websites (you know, the 6-page company kind of sites, with a contact form 'n stuff)

- The sites will use various programs like Flash, php, css2 and mysql. I would also like to get used to phpnuke or phpbb (I'm also going to use this webhost to learn my way into the webdesigning world)

- The sites will have contactforms using PHP, so I don't want the smtp port to be blocked or whatever. I just want to have the contactforms send information to my customer's own email-adress

- I don't want any limitation crap on sql databases... reasonable bandwidth and nice HD storage.

Ofcourse I'm willing to pay for this, but how much should I pay? And for which specifications should I look out for? I'm mostly interested in the mailfunction() thingy; does it have to do with smtp, or with cgi-bin?

If you know a cool webhost that meets my requirements, feel free to PM me :) I'm mostly interested in your opinions and advises though :wink:

Thanks in advance!
-Calimehtar-
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Calimehtar:

The task before you is not an envious one. Choosing a reliable, yet affordable webhost is a tedious time consuming task that requires you to cover a lot of ground. Here some basics:

Watch out for:

- Too good to be true deals especially when they are regular prices. Eg: 15GB space 200GB of monthly transfer for $50/year suggests they are overselling.

- Unlimited Diskspace or Bandwidth. Neither exist!

Reliable, affordable quality webhosting costs between $0.09 - $1.00/gb. The lower the per GB cost the more quantity you have to buy. Eg: $0.09 may require a 25mbps + monthly commitment which would cost approx $750.00/month. Whereas $0.40/GB may only require a 20GB commitment and cost less than $15.00/month.

If the price seems right review their whois info. Make sure they are reachable via the telephone number they provide. Assuming telephoning them are practical and/or cost effective. Email them see how long it takes them to respond and ensure all your questions were answered. Read their TOS and watch out for clauses like:

Anyone using more than 5% of the systems resources will be suspended.

Make sure you agree with and understand their TOS. If you do not understand anything therein send them another email and ask for clarification. Email them at different times during the day and night to gauge their response times.

Make sure they have a Money Back Guarantee (preferably 30 days) stated in writing. Print a copy of it and their whois info just in case. Your copy will be date and time stamped with their/registrars URL.

Monitor (preferably in 5 min intervals) their uptime. We have Datacenters we have been monitoring for years.

Last but not least search the forums on the net eg: webhostingtalk.com for feedback and remember:

People tend to be negative.
There are three (3) not two (2) but three (3) sides to every story. His, hers and the truth! Everybody and anybody can lie.

Hopefully some of this helps you choose the right host the first time
Calimehtar.

Good luck!
Gus
  • Calimehtar
  • Calimehtar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a bunch for the well layed out reply, UH. Guess I'm gonna have to go out and find alot of hosts and compare them :P I was kind of expecting that ofcourse, and already have abit. All that I'm concerned about so far is a question which I asked before, but haven't made clear enough in the last post (my bad) The question I'm having is:

What specifics am I looking for when I want to find out weither or not the host will let me use the mailfunction? (PHP) Does it have to do with smtp?

Again, thanks for any answers in advance :)
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't speak for every host but I'm sure most will allow you to run php scripts which send mail. I know we do.

Calimehtar wrote:
Thanks a bunch for the well layed out reply, UH. Guess I'm gonna have to go out and find alot of hosts and compare them :P I was kind of expecting that ofcourse, and already have abit. All that I'm concerned about so far is a question which I asked before, but haven't made clear enough in the last post (my bad) The question I'm having is:

What specifics am I looking for when I want to find out weither or not the host will let me use the mailfunction? (PHP) Does it have to do with smtp?

Again, thanks for any answers in advance :)
  • Calimehtar
  • Calimehtar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks again :wink:
  • Calimehtar
  • Calimehtar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm got another question though (last one I promise :P )

What difference does it make weither my host has a Linux platform or a Windows platform? Do I see any difference at all? (I'm thinking scripting-wise and such)

Thanks in advance
  • shibucvarughese
  • Born
  • Born
  • shibucvarughese
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linux offers the common programming tools used by Windows but does not have the higher prices attached. With Linux you can use Perl, PHP, MySQL databases, use cgi scripts and a whole lot more. You can also use some Frontpage Extensions to publish web sites. All these items are available on both hosting platforms. But if you do not need the specific items available for only Windows hosting then you should use Linux hosting.
The place where Linux differs distinctly from Window server hosting is in the area of developmental tools. If you are writing your scripts in ASP or the advanced ASP.NET you need Windows hosting.

Whether you use Windows hosting or Linux hosting the end user will not be able to tell the difference between the two operating systems.
  • Calimehtar
  • Calimehtar

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah ok thanks, I think I found the perfect host for me then (yay)

250 MB's of harddisk space, 10 gigs of bandwidth and 25 SQL Databases with all the stuff like PHP and PhPmyAdmin installed, for only 9,75 euro / dollar per month... I also tried to find out how content the users of this host were and it seems like the perfect company for me. They offer darned good service and helpdesk but are not as experienced when it comes to really complicated problems or demands. Basically that's precisely what I seek so... Sounds like a deal to me :P

Thanks for the help everyone

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts