Personal FTP Server

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wasnt quite sure where to put this... but...

im trying to set up an FTP server running off my pc so that i can pull files from it while i am somewhere else (hrm... isnt that what FTP is for... oh well...), i can see the server and upload/dowload stuff from it on my local intranet... however when i try to access it over the internet, it times out...

i am behind a router, but i have it set up so that all requests to port 21 are forwarded to the IP of my FTP server...

----------------------------

second question, totally unrelated, as i am using an FTP program to access the server, but if you FTP something at something like ftp.domaingoeshere.net is that connecting on port 21 because it is FTP, or port 80 because it is using the browser?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should be port 21. Port 80 is HTTP. From what you described, it should be working.

I know this is going to sound basic, but what are you putting in for the FTP host name? If it's the IP (or server name of your server it won't resolve). You need to know and determine what the actual IP is (that your router is getting from the ISP) and use that. The FTP host name can be an IP, so if your ISP has assigned you 136.179.282.145 then that's what you use to connect from an external machine. The forwarding will take care of getting it to your FTP server.

Unfortunately, for most home users the ISP assigned IP is going to be dynamic and will need to be frequently checked, unless you have requested a static one. (Business accounts are available from most ISPs to obtain a static IP but will cost more per month)
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, i can access the server over my intranet using the internal ip of 192.168.10.102, works fine

im going to ftp://*my ip* \\<-- that shouldnt be a link, but thats the forums fault... - through a browser, dreamweaver, and cuteFTP, they all time out...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, even if you open up port 21, the FTP software uses a (as far as I know) random port to actually mak the connection for the file transfer...

You'd need to force your FTP server software to pump transfers through a certain port range, then setup your router to forward those ports to the appropriate LAN IP address.

Or, set that particular machine on the network as a virtual DMZ connection (Demilitarized Zone), so it acts as though it's bypassing the router and has a true connection to the net - if your router supports this.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, cant set it up in the DMZ, its my main pc, the one im using right now... :P and the DMZ cuts that comp off from the internal network so, susposedly, ppl cant aack in through it...

but it should still be connectiong to the server shouldnt it? in not transfering any files, so it wouldnt be using a random port should it? and on the FTP program, there is an option saying "connect using port __" i have 21 filled in there (yes i have the option selected) so shouldnt it be using port 21?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

In Cute you don't need a hyperlink. Just type in your real IP in FTP host name -- that is sufficient.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i tried that to, i typed in my IP addy, with no prefix on it, and it timed out...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, because port 21 is only used to login, but then other ports are opened (which you need to pre-specify in your FTP server software, and allow on your router) in order to list files, download files, etc.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i specified ports 20000-20200 on the server, and opened the corosponding ports on my router, and forwarded them to my internal IP, still no go... :(
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try en/disabling passive mode in the FTP client.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, ftp does not use a non-established or open port; it uses a WKP, (well known port) for all data-transfer. 21 is the port used to connect, 20 is the port used for transfer.

TCP and UDP, BTW.

Cheers.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Calendae wrote:
hehe, cant set it up in the DMZ, its my main pc, the one im using right now... :P and the DMZ cuts that comp off from the internal network so, susposedly, ppl cant aack in through it...

but it should still be connectiong to the server shouldnt it? in not transfering any files, so it wouldnt be using a random port should it? and on the FTP program, there is an option saying "connect using port __" i have 21 filled in there (yes i have the option selected) so shouldnt it be using port 21?

Just relooked and this might be where to start.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

By default, the data connection is port 20. It must be open to make a data connection or you will have timeout.

Now, the reason ftp programs (clients) give you the option to alter the port for connection (and subsequent data) is to sneak nasty little files, using nasty little ftp protocol around clean, honest firewalls. (Provided you own the host, and port forward requests) :) However, if you set up an ftp server -- I am guessing on a windows machine? Set the perms correctly for access... and opened port 21, permitting a port forward to port 21 on the backend node, you should only need to open the default port 20. All things being equal, that is.

Doesn't matter where it sits, as long as you have the NAT (network address translation) in place (handled on most low-end userland devices, such as linksys "routers" etc. ) -- provided you have a non-internet-addressable backend class network; such as 192.168, or 10. etc. Plus the port is open, you should be dandy.

As for your second question, which I apparently missed as I thought it was part of your tagline...
Quote:
second question, totally unrelated, as i am using an FTP program to access the server, but if you FTP something at something like ftp.domaingoeshere.net is that connecting on port 21 because it is FTP, or port 80 because it is using the browser?

No. just going to a box with a hostname or CNAME in dns of 'ftp', means nothing. You have to invoke the right protocol. In a browser, that would be ftp:// <servername.domainname>. An ftp program, obviously, attempts to use defaults within the ftp rfc. CLI access is done also by calling the ftp client program, ftp ftp.whatever.com.
  • daz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • daz
  • Loc: london

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello every one ive got a home fpt server

i just thoiught ill tell i dnt no y :)
  • David
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • David

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought i'd reply.

I've got a home FTP server.

It's: ftp://d3vid.no-ip.org

I used the no-ip.com redirect to my ip as my ISP dosent supply a static IP.

But i'm quite fine with that.

I also use: BPFTP
BulletProofFTP Server, that softwares great.

I make a folder in my documents, and put in my school work, website folder... photoshop folder... etc..

I love it.
I'm on a 512k connection which is just great for me.

Thought i'd share with you.

David :)
  • daz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • daz

Post 3+ Months Ago

my cousin has a server i think they r quit good myself but my cousin dnt think its shi*
  • daz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • daz

Post 3+ Months Ago

DAVID DOES NOT HAVE A FTP SERVER HE IS LIEING

DARREN I JUST THOUGHT ILL TELL U IF U ASK ME Y I SAID IT
  • daz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • daz