Voting Chart

Total votes : 7

Which OS is better to host a site on a local PC?

Poll ended at November 7th, 2005, 6:01 pm.

  •  
    LINUX
  •  
    WINDOWS(all Versions)
  •  
    Other(idk)
  •  
    Dont Bother Hosting on PC

PERSONAL HOSTING

  • DArkSides
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • DArkSides
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok I have some issues...i recently installed apache, mySql and php nuke 7.8 on my pc, with the purpose to host it ;) which seemed to be a br8 idea, but i've had the most annoying problem ever, i can view the site locally (localhost) but users cannot view my site for some reason, any ideas, ?


PLEASE reply, i very NOOBishly purchase computer pasrts assuming that it wont be any problem which it wasnt before, but now it has become a priority to me....can anyone please help me...... anyone that expierienced the same problem? :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • DArkSides
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • DArkSides
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know why, But a few ppl have told me to modify My IIS settings Or to enable remote access On My PC, but I need to know what this is Before I start to play around with it...
so please Can anyone tell me how to Do this.. .. ..
  • DArkSides
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • DArkSides
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

:? If someone knows this Please Respond, Im about to smash this *plum*....GrrRR...lol <--- Polite laugh , this is really annoying...extremly annoying...
  • webmasterforum
  • Student
  • Student
  • webmasterforum
  • Posts: 74

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd go with Linux, like it or not, its just a personal website, so there is no point buying all the Windows licenses for 3x the price.
  • dannybedor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dannybedor
  • Posts: 18

Post 3+ Months Ago

Creating your own web server in PC is not a br8 idea, IMHO.

Some you have to considered:
- IP, you need Internet IP address, not just your local IP. (If you don't have one, ask your ISP how to get this).
- Connection, you need a good Internet connection speed to make your website "visible" to others.

But I agree that it might be good for learning purposes.

Good luck.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

dannybedor wrote:
Creating your own web server in PC is not a br8 idea, IMHO.

Some you have to considered:
- IP, you need Internet IP address, not just your local IP. (If you don't have one, ask your ISP how to get this).
- Connection, you need a good Internet connection speed to make your website "visible" to others.

But I agree that it might be good for learning purposes.

Good luck.


He *has* an internet addressable IP, else no one using that connection would be able to retrieve data from the 'net. Everyone who accesses the Internet has one.
What he may have is a NAT'ed address; a local IP (non-internet addressable) that is Network Address Translated to the external via a gateway device.
In that case, port forwarding http requests (port 80) via the gateway device to the webserver in question will suffice.
Technically, also, you only require a connection -- does not have to be broadband, technically speaking. (Though, I know of no one that would wait for a dial-up server to deliver content. )
  • DArkSides
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • DArkSides
  • Posts: 5

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is now working just fine, But it fluxuates.....it's up one hour and down the next...why? also its on PhP-Nuke, anyone klnow of a gallery for it...I also Want A MP3 player, BUT i dont want it to start all over when the user clicks a link, REMEMBER im using PHP-Nuke
  • dannybedor
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dannybedor
  • Posts: 18

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
He *has* an internet addressable IP, else no one using that connection would be able to retrieve data from the 'net. Everyone who accesses the Internet has one.


LOL, in my country you'll just get dynamic IP for dialup connection.
You can't publish your web server on dynamic IP set by your provider.
  • Daemonguy
  • Moderator
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2700
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

dannybedor wrote:
Daemonguy wrote:

He *has* an internet addressable IP, else no one using that connection would be able to retrieve data from the 'net. Everyone who accesses the Internet has one.


LOL, in my country you'll just get dynamic IP for dialup connection.
You can't publish your web server on dynamic IP set by your provider.


My point was, he absolutely *must* have an Internet addressable IP -- so do you, for without it you would never be able to post any message nor surf the web. Oddly enough, places like Google can't route information to non-internet addressable IP's -- that whole pesky TCP/IP thing. ;)

Yes, even you, with your dialup connection could publish to the entire Internet -- why you would want to is beyond me (even if it is dynamic).

Legality of said hosting is not the question here, merely the technical capability to do so.

Cheers.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.