Is it possible to make good money with ReSeller packages??

• edawg
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Is it possible to make good money with ReSeller packages , I have a resellers package, on which I pay monthly , at the moment I have one website on it, which I designed , but was just thinking about selling the other space to other websites that need to be online?? ,So if you have any exp, or ideas about it ,please let me know:))

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi edawg,

Hosting is a funny industry. Of course you can make money simply selling hosting, however, to truely be successful, you need to add some value to your hosting packages.

A perfect example is your designing. As a web designer, you really dont need to compete on price and specs with your client - if you design their website, you have a good chance of hosting it for them as well - and they are unlikely to shop it around for an extra 10 GB of bandwith per month...
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

The hosting industry is extremely competitve and I would only suggest people who already have a successful niche to market to add it to their service list. Even then I suggest they choose a fully managed Semi-Dedicated/Reseller plan unless their niche is Server Administration. As Cartika said a Web Designer is a perfect candidate for Reseller. In fact it is how we started. I used to spend as much as a high end reseller account would cost me to host one adult site. That host was overselling the server, charging out the arse and using cheap hardware too. They had to switch me to another server just so I could add one lousy database to a domain where there previously were none.

In any event I investigated the Reseller option and made that move. Doing so negated the need to spend hours searching for the right host everytime I designed a website for a client. It also allowed me to upsell my web design service. Plus I had my reputation as an adult web developer to bring me even more clients. That was three (3) years ago and now we're resellers (every host is) on an even bigger scale. Just be sure to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. Make the investment, create your business model, work your plan and then reinvest in your future growth...

Good luck Dawg
  • templastorm
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • templastorm
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cartika, are you saying that if i buy a hosting package from you, you will get designers to build me a website? I see that the price is $10/month.

You can be very successful with a reseller plan, although the professionals dont go after companies with resellers, because they know what they are doing. If you have good packages and seem descent, alot of newbies will come, and if that pays the bills, then its getting you somwhere. You can then upgrade later on.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

templastorm wrote:
Cartika, are you saying that if i buy a hosting package from you, you will get designers to build me a website? I see that the price is $10/month.

No, I think he is saying that people come to him to get a web designed and he can also offer hosting since he has a reseller account. Well a reseller account or dedicated server, I do not know which and do not wish to make an incorrect assumption.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its true you make better money on hosting if your a web designer. You can host your customers, charge them for the design, the hosting and the domain and possibly also an upkeep fee for maintenance on the site across the year.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:

Actually, Im quite confused how you came to that conclusion :)

The thread starter asked if they could make money selling hosting, and mentioned they do design. As such, I simply recommended that adding value to hosting (ie design services) is a good way to actually make money in this industry.

Our entire business model is value added hosting - we perform all sorts of services around the products we offer, thereby making us attractive to our target audience (business clientelle).

Quote:
No, I think he is saying that people come to him to get a web designed and he can also offer hosting since he has a reseller account. Well a reseller account or dedicated server, I do not know which and do not wish to make an incorrect assumption.

I promise I wouldnt hold an assumption against you :)

We actually operate an 8 server (and growing :) )cluster and offer both end user accounts, reseller accounts and dedicated servers..

Quote:
Its true you make better money on hosting if your a web designer. You can host your customers, charge them for the design, the hosting and the domain and possibly also an upkeep fee for maintenance on the site across the year.

Exactly right :) and as a designer, you really do not need to be overly concerned with the pricing of your packages, as long as they are reasonable - as most of your clients wouldnt shop your hosting fees around anyway - many of our resellers are designers, and they have done quite well with their hosting portfolio, creating a nice recurring revenue stream for them...
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe that web designers should concentrate on creative design and hosting companies on hosting.

too many people out there are jack-of-all-trades master of none.

I don't believe in a shot gun approach to selling...it makes the person look desperate and not an expert in what he or she does.

I know so many web designers that want to do EVERYTHING for their clients - they'll design their site, host it, do programming, and general IT management for them as well.

...and most of say the same thing "how come this customer is taking up all my time?"

That is a perfect strategy to NEVER EVER grow.

If you do want to grow - stick to what you originally set out in business.
If you are a web designer - make sure that you are one of the best in your market

make sure you partner with a good web host - so they can manage the customers hosting needs such as...email, backups, version updates, etc. etc.

just my 2 cents.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
make sure you partner with a good web host - so they can manage the customers hosting needs such as...email, backups, version updates, etc. etc.

What you described is pretty much what a reseller package is in a nutshell...

It allows other IT professionals to focus on their core competencies, while also creating an additional revenue stream for the hosting.

The designer doesnt keep the OS updated, or backups, etc - that is the job of the web host...
  • edawg
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks for all your help anyway,gives me a few ideas:)

thank you!!.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts