Is it possible.

• wirercx
  • wirercx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just wondering if it was possible to host your own domain name on your own computer? Or do you always have to buy it from a company?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can host your own domain name on your computer although i would strongly recommend you didnt do that unless you have plenty of memory and a very good connection plus a million other things.

For what its worth you'd be better of paying for a service that is not likely to be faulty and slow.
  • miniRank.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • miniRank.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

wirercx wrote:
I was just wondering if it was possible to host your own domain name on your own computer? Or do you always have to buy it from a company?

These are two different questions:

Q2. You have to buy the domain name from someone, same as going to the post office to assign a new postal code for you.

Q1: The files associated with this domain name, can be hosted anywhere, even on your home computer.

If you have time on your hands, give it a try to set up a web hosting server at home. You'll learn a lot and have a clear picture why people don't do it at home.
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, your welcome to try, but I would recommend just finding a cheap host. For what you pay them, compared to all the effort they save you, its a huge advantage to you. Good luck.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last but not least most ISP's prohibit your hosting a domain on their connection.
  • niyogi
  • niyogi
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally wouldn't worry about getting "caught" for running your own web server unless you are essentially running a high-traffic site that possibly invites a DoS attack.

For what you want to do, you should check out zoneedit.com which allows you to have a domain point to your home IP. If the IP changes, you'd want to check out http://www.dyndns.org since this keeps track of your changing IPs and modifies their record accordingly.

Roj
  • OverSeasHost
  • Born
  • Born
  • OverSeasHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can try free hosting , there is many hosts provide it with ads and without ads , but hosting at home is not recommended at all .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts