• richardk
  • Born
  • Born
  • richardk
  • Loc: San diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

:?

Hi all,
I am having a problem with the server IP is showing up when visiting my website. I have my domain registered with irist.com and I have set up the mask to point to my registered domain http://www.royalbengals.com. After talking to the support at irist.com, they have told me that my account settings are correct.

The problem is that it seems to work fine for my index page, however when I open links to other pages in my directory, it will show the IP address instead of my domain name:

http://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/mypage.htm . What want, is to have it like this http://www.royalbengals.com/rocky.htm .

It should also be mentioned that if I type the fully qualified path in the address bar with my domain name, it will not work, but if I do it with the IP address instead it works fine.

When I try to validate my web page using my domain name, it will show me some htm code that I did not do and a whole bunch of errors in the code. But when I use the server IP when validating, I do see the correct htm code and no errors are generated.

Now, someone told me about “frame busting” and this may be the reason why I am having the problem stated above. However after reading briefly about frame busting, is that frame busting is something you add to your own pages to prevent someone else to display your html on their page. If this is correct, then the above should not be affected by frame busting.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and if someone has a solution to my problem above, I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks,

Richard
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jasontd
  • jasontd
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can tell you as a host - this is not correct and should only show this way if you have the absolute <href> path with the IP which I am sure you do not. I think the apache or IIS settings are incorrect with your host. But them telling you it is setup ok is not true.
  • richardk
  • Born
  • Born
  • richardk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it a lot. So if I understand you correctly, it’s the server where I host my page that there is a problem and not at irist.com?

Thanks,

Richard
  • jasontd
  • jasontd
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe so. If I go to http://www.royalbengals.com and click on any of your links I get directed to the IP.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just a couple of questions.

Your domain seems controlled by GoDaddy (or some sub to them) with the www. address resolving as a cname for the domain.
Both of which resolve to 64.202.167.129, which is a GoDaddy IP.

That server is running apache, however it is also running mod_pointer (a module designed for redirecting using SQL DB's) and seems to redirect all traffic to a Cox Communications IP, 216.231.0.190.

The first server is a simplistic redirector running Apache 1.3.31 and mod_pointer... the second server is some RedHat build running 2.0.40.

Are you running this out of your house? No, You're on Covad -- are you running this from a friend's house?

Either way, if appears as if the config for Apache on your end is not right. The server needs to answer as the domain name, not the IP. Do they have the redirection in place to an IP or a domain name? In your config, what is the ServerName directive set to?
  • richardk
  • Born
  • Born
  • richardk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the help.

All of what you stated above seem to be true. My domain is registered by irist.com, however, the person I am hosting my web page at is probably a godaddy account and is redirect to a cox IP
I also know he runs more websites then mine on the server.

Since I do not have any access to the conf file and am not sure how virtual hosts works, I will have to investigate further.

Thanks a lot for all your time,

Richard

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts