Query a webserver for it's technology?

• HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a way to query a webserver to find out what technology it uses?

I'm sure that there's an easy way to do it, but my mind has gone totally blank on this one. A friend has asked me to look at his site, and offer any thoughts on improvements, and the programmer I spoke to asked if I couls get him some server details for the site.

Is it possible?

Thanks folks. :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ahevans
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ahevans

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

File extensionsmay give a clue e.g. aspx will be MS .Net and .php are PHP, but some people can change these round at a server level so that .HTML is actually PHP. If you look at the pages source, there may be some giveaways.

IF the server is set up right then it won't give away much about the server platform (apache, IIS) but maybe you could cause a 404 by asking for a page you know doesn't exist and see what happens.

Database and scripting variables won't be visible without access to the server.
  • HongKongPhooey
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that.

The forced 404 shows it 's IIS, then I found this site ... http://www.domaintools.com/ which confirmed it.

I assume that if the site was originally designed to run on IIS, then if ti were to be moved it would need to go onto another MS box running IIS, for simplicity. Transferring it to a Linux box using Apache would require a rewrite possibly?

The reason I ask is that the site may require moving, as the guy who owns it has fallen out with his web developer ( & hosting provider). He asked me if I would be prepared to shift it for him, but I'm not sure I want to get involved. I was just doing a bit of ground work in case he calls up in a panic :shock:
  • ahevans
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ahevans

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi

if your thinking of moving the site, you'd need to know the server (IIS) setup. If the pages use any scripting, you'd need to setp the same environment on your new server. For example, IIS usually uses MS .Net for ASPX pages and Apache usually uses PHP.

You'd also need to know if the site uses a database, then you'd need to know connection setings etc. Also servers can have configurations for url rewrites, directory permissions, the list can be endless...

Best case, the site is static plain html pages and can just be moved to any server like IIS or Apache or any other HTTP server usually.
  • cd-mchase
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Jonesboro, AR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Create a file called test.php and inside of it put:
Quote:
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
That will get you a pretty decent amount of information about the filesystem and environment.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts