questions to ask prospective hosts?

• Drat39
  • Born
  • Born
  • Drat39

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Forum,

I have a site to go online that has a lot of jpegs and giffs, and hopefully will receive a fair bit of traffic..How do i ask my prospective host if they can handle it?....
The problem is that I have found Someone local to me who has a couple of small sites he is hosting from home, sounds a bit wack I know but apparently he has three pc's in different loocations all updating one n other simulataniously...I assume this is good practice....So he sounds kinda ok so far.
but how to pose the question to find out if he has enough bandwith to handle the job??/or other questions to ask him?

thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

He sounds good to me. At least he may even stick around longer than companies out there who are incurring higher overheads, higher costs.

not to mention that he's local to u...

Just tell him the purpose of yr website and how big (many pages) you may possibly have.
I'm sure he will catch up pretty fast...
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well check what kinda support he has PHP would allow you to host a site that made use of a PHP based picture gallery, you might also make use of password pages etc.. for private acess to certain areas of your site.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if you do get a fair amount of traffic to your graphics rich site he won't be able to handle the amount of bandwidth you will require. unless of course he has a really good connection like a T1
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt he has T1. T1 is really expensive to have.
coz he 's hosting from home.

But I agree it's good to know what level of connection the web host provider has..
  • virtualwebc
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Drat39 wrote:
Hello Forum,

I have a site to go online that has a lot of jpegs and giffs, and hopefully will receive a fair bit of traffic..How do i ask my prospective host if they can handle it?....
The problem is that I have found Someone local to me who has a couple of small sites he is hosting from home, sounds a bit wack I know but apparently he has three pc's in different loocations all updating one n other simulataniously...I assume this is good practice....So he sounds kinda ok so far.
but how to pose the question to find out if he has enough bandwith to handle the job??/or other questions to ask him?

thank you.

Drat39,

I own my own hosting / web design company
If you need hosting for your site I think some of the most important question to ask a hosting company would be how many sites do they allow on each server and do they sell re-seller accounts.
Reasoning behind this : It has been my experiance that hosting companies that sell reseller packages are almost guaranteed to have filled and cluttered servers because of the resellers selling all types of hosting packages all over and automatically creating accounts on the server it is not as easy to monitor. A cluttered or filled sever means slow site for you and allot greater risk of you server crashing allot of the time. You got to be realistic the reseller does not pay for the actual cost of the server nor has to maintain it that is left up to the actual hosting company. The reseller could care less if he sales space to a shady customer that may use that server to load viruses to or stream allot of audio and video there for sucking up the bandwidth from the other legit customers on the server. My company does not offer reseller packages for this reason I don't need the added cost of having to fix servers and take customers off line because of a couple of bad apples. I would rather charge less for my hosting services and retain a good repour and relationship with my clients by providing top notch service. When looking for a hosting company the space can be determined very easily how much you'll need the bandwidth if you have a successful site will increase so make sure you get a little more than what you need to always be on the safe side.
*** I hope not to offend any hosting companies that have resellers or resellers themselves I'm just stating my experience and opinion***

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts