Questions on how to get started with a website?

• mafiaboy3
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mafiaboy3
  • Loc: Canda

Post 3+ Months Ago

1.Alright so my biggest problem is actually learning some html and php, im not talking about pasting a google adsense code into your site, im talking about using php so that people could create accounts on your site. Is it possible to get away with just getting already made scripsts off other sites?

2. Too make a site look good im prbly just going to get a nice template off mininova.org a torrent site where you could get any program with a crack for free, so templates are prbly in there to. I find templates are very expensive if you buy them...so is it true that just if your site looks good, people will tend to stay? I seem to look around a site abit if it looks good.

3.Forms of advertising? Dont tell me google adwords, i want 500 visitors a day, that wil cost me 100$ a day... i dont think ill pay that much... is a link exchange bettrer? I knoe SEO is the best but its long...

4. Whats better? A forum or a site?

5. Is using a free host like tripod.com or angelfire.com a big difference from having ur own .com site for 15$ more a month.?

thnx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mafiaboy3
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mafiaboy3
  • Loc: Canda

Post 3+ Months Ago

eek now that i think of it i might have posted in wrong categpry, if any morederators want to close this thread u think u culd move it to general discussion?
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. For the most part, most web hosts should offer some way to automatically install scripts, i know for Fantastico it works great and does all the work for you.

2. Templates work just fine for starting out, make custom changes to it and it will be unique by itself.

3. Adwords is horrible for a web host :(, you'll go broke, but i don't know what type of site you are promoting, lots of competition on some areas so costs may be up. Strong relevant link exchanges are important as well as directory submissions to good ones though.

4. Both are great and have many bonuses, there really is no best, what type of site are you devising?

5. Your own .COM is way better in the long run, you might be just a subdomain of tripod.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Web hosts offer free scripts to do that, but if you want to create your own login/registration, try the following tutorials. I haven't tested them out, but I hope that they help you out.

http://www.evolt.org/PHP-Login-System-w ... n-Features

2. As rllunzmann posted, templates work for a first-timer, but making your own design would prove to be the best option.

3. Have no expertise on that, but considering that you have to pay to get people, I agree with rllunsmann.

4. Both are for different purposes. Do you want a site as a community or do you want to provide people with information? Also, as a thought, you can mix them.

5. I agree with rllunzmann on this. Your own .COM is better because people would remember you site URL and go there whenever they need to or want to and its also better because it makes the site look a little more professional.

I can help you on some of your project. If you need help you may PM me.

BTW, the correct category for this thread (in my opinion) should be in website design.
  • harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) You can visit our blog for getting your hands on php and html.
2) As a newbie using templates would be the best option, there are few companies which offer cheap template just for ex : teamgrowth.net .
3) SEO is best and cheapest source for online advertising.
4) Site with forum would be impressive, you would attract your visitor if you have a active forum helping each other.
5) I will always prefer to spend on hosting rather then becoming subdomain site.

So mafiaboy3,
If you are looking for hosting your site we are here to help you with 24*7 technical support along with 30 day’s moneyback guarantee. We can offer you hosting plan just for £19.99 /year.
Please visit http://www.webhosting.uk.com/linux-hosting.php for more details.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. That will work out fine ;) and you can always ask specific questions

2. Well you should use a free template. Someone has made that template and you should not just steal that without a licence. But don't worry. There are much free, and still good looking, templates. Check http://www.openwebdesign.org/ for example.

3. If you want to advertise so you get much visitors, you should definately take a domain. (Q5)

4. Both. But only a forum is less work, because you can ask mods and admins to rule the place ;)

5. See Q3

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts