Quick help please, Server Name

  • pritesh_a
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pritesh_a
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: South London/UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just need to know how to find my local server name?? iv installed IIS...
just doing a bit of programming and i need to change the defualt name to my server name.

dont know where to look

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers
  • Posts: 114

Post 3+ Months Ago

if it is your own server, and you have cpanel...

in whm go to 'edit setup' and look for 'hostname'.

if it isnt, try server1.yourhostname.com in your browser and see if that works.

--------

you probably will be able to use the IP address of the server... http://www.whois.sc/yourhostname.com

----

ive never had to tried either of these methods because ive never needed to do so, although in theory they work.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay
  • Posts: 541

Post 3+ Months Ago

pritesh_a wrote:
Just need to know how to find my local server name?? iv installed IIS...
just doing a bit of programming and i need to change the defualt name to my server name.

dont know where to look

thanks


Changing hostname would be painfull since it is managing all of your DNS/Network .

you have to told your control panel first.
  • pritesh_a
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pritesh_a
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: South London/UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do i have to do? I didnt understand u?
Is a web server and server different?
Iv got a ASP web server for my web site...
But for another part of my project i need a server installed on my system as well....

how do i get that? iv got Win XP Pro?
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay
  • Posts: 541

Post 3+ Months Ago

pritesh_a wrote:
What do i have to do? I didnt understand u?
Is a web server and server different?
Iv got a ASP web server for my web site...
But for another part of my project i need a server installed on my system as well....

how do i get that? iv got Win XP Pro?

I am sorry i dont have any knowledge about Windows Hosting but when you require a support about web host root administration you have to give your specs such as Operating System, Control Panel + versions...
so maybe someone help you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

type this into your browser:

http://localhost/localstart.asp

That should pop up instructions on how to use IIS

If it prompts for a login, type in your administrator username and password.

To find out your computer name, right click My Computer; select properties; select the Network Identification tab and your computer name will be listed as "Full computer name". So you could just as easily type in:

http://yourcomputername/localstart.asp

and get the same instructions.
  • pritesh_a
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pritesh_a
  • Posts: 158
  • Loc: South London/UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW

as far as i know my computer is not setup as a Server!
how do i set this up?

As you said, right click My Computer; select properties; select the Network Identification tab and your computer name will be listed as "Full computer name".

is the computer name going to be my server name?
  • hellion717
  • Born
  • Born
  • hellion717
  • Posts: 4

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW can u help me with something please????
  • hellion717
  • Born
  • Born
  • hellion717
  • Posts: 4

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
type this into your browser:

http://localhost/localstart.asp

That should pop up instructions on how to use IIS

If it prompts for a login, type in your administrator username and password.

To find out your computer name, right click My Computer; select properties; select the Network Identification tab and your computer name will be listed as "Full computer name". So you could just as easily type in:

http://yourcomputername/localstart.asp

and get the same instructions.

  • hellion717
  • Born
  • Born
  • hellion717
  • Posts: 4

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW i am using a program called GrabIt 1.7.1 Beta, it keeps asking me to find my server host name...do u know where i can find this at...thanx
  • hellion717
  • Born
  • Born
  • hellion717
  • Posts: 4

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol...do u know how to find a server name?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never used grabit, have no clue what it is, and I never trust beta's except for experimenting and finding bugs.

In most cases your server host name will be localhost. If that doesn't work, then you need to provide some more details about how you are set up and what exactly you are trying to do.
  • Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 69

Post 3+ Months Ago

hellion717 wrote:
lol...do u know how to find a server name?

Why do you need it for?

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.