redundancy set up

• one2one
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • one2one
  • Loc: Lancaster, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Guys,

My company has been web hosting using MS-IIS for years now, and we are looking to create some failover for our services. We want to create multiple data centers for redundancy and find some way for a request to come into an IP and that IP be attached to some kind of hardware/software solution (also redundant) that will esencially load blanace the request to find a web server that is available for the request. The load blancing isn't really important, but if datacenter1 goes offline because of exteme powerfailure or something, I want the request to be sent to datacenter2 so the end user notices no difference when they are trying to get to thier hosted websites.

I mentioned IP before because I was hoping this could be done in such a manner that perhaps the A records in DNS could be pointing to this load-balancer thing and that determine where the web server is. I know there are DNS solutions out there that do this type of thing, but you have to turn over SOA to them which won't work for us because we need to be able to allow our custoemrs to modify thier DNS at will like most other hosting providers.

Anyone know of anything we could look into?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can recommend Foundry Network Foundry Iron for Global Server Load Balancing and Server Load balancing. The appliances gather their own metrics and 'talk' to each other to determine best RTT for a particular user as well as make autonomous determination for balanced flow. They have the innate ability to manage many MANY sessions at one time and is all DNS based using VIP's (Virtual IP's).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts