Removing Free Web Hosting Ads

• ctownstud00
  • Born
  • Born
  • ctownstud00

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there a script I can add to trick Yahoo Geocities or some other free based providers so that the ads won't show up? Especially on Yahoo, they are very annoying and invasive..

Thanks,
Sean

(http://www.geocities.com/wlsc_sunshine - look at those *peach* ads!)
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is. No, I am not going to tell you. This thread is going to be locked (I'll bet you $50) because with few exceptions, the people at Ozzu do not condone evil.

You can try portland.co.uk for getting ad-free hosting. (My information on where to get decent free webhosting is about four years old.) You can also pay for hosting. It's really not horribly expensive.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, there's methods of removing thoose ads.

1) Upgrade to an ad-free account.
2) Use a Javascript that surely violates the hosts Terms Of Service, be it specified on ads, or their "Termination for any reason we see fit" clause.

It's ultimately a waste of time to try hiding thoose ads, the host will eventually find out & you'll have your account terminated.

For instance, if I want to protect the ads on my server, all I have to do to begin is give the element containing my ads a unique identifier, one that is large enough so that someones attempts to obfuscate it waste alot of time, then I can programaticly search my server & resources defined by external links on my server for scripting which targets that element, then it's just a matter of visiting the account to see it for myself. (I'm sure someone can bypass that, but this is just for examples sake...)

Not to mention I believe it's a shady, untrustworthy thing to do.

Normally, I would lock this topic, however, in light of recent devolopments on a low public opinion of moderators, I am leaving this one open so the ill-informed can ask questions.

This doesn't mean I won't remove any scripts, links to scripts, links to sites explaining scripts in detail I find in this thread. ;)
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want ad free/free webhosting good luck. If you want to block the ads on your free hosting you will be shut down. The reason the hosting is free is because of the advertising space that pays for it. See hosts get paid $Xdollars for placing ads on the sites they host. This way people can get thier sites hosted without having to pay, the advertisers paid for the space. If you then block those ads, the hosting company is liable which means they shut you down since you are ripping off the advertisers.
  • ola2005
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello my dear,

You cannot get a script to do that on free hosts. Its their own way of making money redering free services from their server.

Rather you can get a cheap host . Do your search and you'll get a good one.
  • shibbyy05
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • shibbyy05
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

not to mention buying a domain and hosting is next to nothing now and days...and ads aren't that bad, I mean if you ever get your own webspace you will soon realize that wow I can make money off my website by just placing ads on it...plus if you go to the right hosting company they will provide you with 2 or more free domains so one domain could have ads on it to pay for your entire service and then your other domain could be free of ads if you don't like them but honestly you will prob still resort in putting ads on it when you realize the profit you are making :)
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use that javascript script to get rid of the ads. I'm guessing it was deleted on Geocities, because I can't find it now. But those were many many years ago when I was probably too stupid too even know what "Terms of Service" were.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose you'd like to know where you can find free MP3s too eh?

If you're really too cheap to pay for hosting, too inexperienced to set up your own server, or too lazy to use google to browse for free hosts, check this out:

http://sdf.lonestar.org/

Basically it's a cluster of many UNIX servers for free use by anyone on the internet. It also has a community of may system administrators, hackers, and newbies. They're all good people.

It's free, you'll learn a lot, check it out...
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW, I guess I failed to mention that you have to be familiar with UNIX to use it. All of the people on there are very friendly, and they will help you learn. You'll be happy to learn that, because you have an actual UNIX user account, no ads are placed on your pages. You'll also have access to PHP, CGI, etc. They also have a text based game called Dopewars that's pretty fun :)

As for everyone else, you may want to check it out. I've learned alot. It's a big system too, considering it houses many terrabytes of info... Most of the people on there are system administrators for other systems, linux users, high-schoolers, and hackers (not crackers)

I often find it useful for testing my webserver, as it resides in Texas, and it helps me monitor DNS propagation.
  • Digitelle
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: BRKLYN-NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been doing some research on this too for a friend.

Anyway, this is what I have found, if you want a large site, with no ads you either have to buy a domain through them, after which they grant you free hosting of it, have banner ads on your site, or have a certain amount of posts on a forum site for which the posts are used as content for ads, or the information is sold to marketing companies.

There are a few sites that will host you no strings attached but you have to go through an application and approval process. Meaning you write a proposal about what the content of your site is, and someone looks at your site and if they like the proposal and the quality of the site, BOOM, free hosting.

just do a search for 'free hosting' you will find all this stuff.
  • pedrotuga
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is ways to block some ads with simple html.
For that you should look on warez forums, not here.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Upgrade to a cheap paid hosting friend. And enjoy adfree webspace.
  • ibnuasad
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Malaysia...Truly Asia!

Post 3+ Months Ago

PM me...i will help you
  • kornnutz
  • Born
  • Born
  • kornnutz

Post 3+ Months Ago

<html>
<head>
<title>No ads here!</title>
</head>
<DIV ID="noads">
<body>
</DIV>
<script><!--
var IE = (document.all) ? true : false;
var NS = (document.layers) ? true : false;
var divs = document.getElementsbyTagName('div');
var iframes = document.getElementsbyTagName('iframe');
function display(id, str) {
if (NS) {
with (document[id].document) {
open();
write(str);
close();
}
}
else {
document.all[id].innerHTML = str;
}
}

fix="<"; //haha
fix+="b"; // hahahah
fix+="o"; // hahahahaha
fix+="d"; // hehahehaheha
fix+="y"; // hehahehahahahe
fix+="d>"; // BWAH HAHA HAH AHA

display('noads',fix);
//-->
</script>

<!-- real page starts here -->

blah blah blah

<!-- real page ends here -->

<div style="display:none">
</body>
</html>

this works on the old ad engines that watch for the body tag in your html.
does not work on a lot of the new ad engines.
  • Spax
  • Born
  • Born
  • Spax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually hosting companies will add the ad in a frame instead of inserting it on every page directly into you HTML/PHP/whatever. If this is the case, all you have to do is make it so that it shows one frame, your page of course! I just added this to the HEAD section of my HTML.

<FRAME SRC="Your URL Here" SCROLLING="NO">

Wahhlaa!

*Results may very, if your hosting company bans you I resume no responsibility. But trust me, this works great.
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

so yeah even if you do remove the ads through a script or through coding eventually that will be found out, and then your in violation of their terms.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts