Retrict access to website from spambots and strange visitors

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you're saying about losing some hits by requiring registration. Try banning by IP and if it's too much work or if it doesn't work at all, then go with the registration.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

pons_saravanan wrote:
hi don
but the google bot,yahoo, msn bots and other bots will not be able to crawl the site. If it is not crawled then it will not be indexed in the search engine.

since my visitors are mainly from search engines i dont want to loose them.

I tried to attach my website logs but couldnt proceed since the PM does not allow attachments and inline text has some line numbers limitations.

Bots can still crawl your site, Even if you do use the method Don has told you about.
  • pons_saravanan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pons_saravanan

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi penguin

I dont think all the search engines can crawl password protected pages(some can crawl,some can not). if you think it is done in a website which has password protected but search engine has crawled the content. there are two possiblities (as far i know)

1) site serves different content to visitors and bots. which may be against the search engine guidelines and further it may lead to get banned from search engines.

2)Another case: Just verify the content, it may be hidden to human eyes. check the content using find utility in the browser or get the html source(view source) and use the find utility of the notepad. then you will be surprised what has happened.

BTW i have just implemented the ipaddress restriction. so far so good. i have tested also.it is working fine.

thank you for both of your's help(don and penguin). Now my worry is how to detect this fake IP Addresses and Fake user agents(some bots are hiding their ips, user agents, and manipulating some ips, user agents).

Let me see how i can improve this...
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome, And keep us updated on how things are going. :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 34 posts