RPi Hosting

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am working on another project.

I want to do a hosting project with Raspberry Pi's!

Yes i know you wont be able to do no massive website on it or what not but thats not the point. Its a fun project to learn on.

So I am trying to figure out all i need.

ISP
2 Raspberry Pi's
DNS server
Name server
Apache/php/mysql server

so now the question is how can i have the dns and name server on one Pi and the Apache/php/mysql on another but at the same time be able to add more Pi's to the "cluster" I only want to say put 2 sites per Pi.

Keep in mind this is all off of one Outside IP address.

I have found this RPi-website pdf file but its all off of one Pi. It looks like its what i am looking for but like i said its off of one Pi i would like to do this where i can have sites over multiple Pi's

another link at the bottom for dns and dhcp

Also this maybe a running log.. :)

I found this for DNS.... So what i am gathering is that all domains are pointed to a single ip and the dns will point the correct domain name to the correct pi?

Heck I maybe totaly off :/ (*Shrug*)

Side note http://elinux.org/RPi_Tutorials
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do ya think i am missing something?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you ever get anywhere with this? If you set up a cluster controller such that r-pis are automatically configured when you plug them in and do something about mass power management, it could be quite useful. 35 bucks per node really isn't that bad. You can cheat the whole memory thing by plugging in USB drives and setting them up as swap drives with high swappiness. The only place in the network I could think of wanting something else would be the firewall, where you'd want to have 2 nics.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Did you ever get anywhere with this? If you set up a cluster controller such that r-pis are automatically configured when you plug them in and do something about mass power management, it could be quite useful. 35 bucks per node really isn't that bad. You can cheat the whole memory thing by plugging in USB drives and setting them up as swap drives with high swappiness. The only place in the network I could think of wanting something else would be the firewall, where you'd want to have 2 nics.

So i will be running 3 Pi's

I had ordered another pi an waiting for it to come into the mail with a massive 64gb card. the main issue is setting up everything. i am just wanting to make sure that i do it right... Nothing is set up yet... Looking for input if i am missing something.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might be a good idea to set up 3 virtual machines and play with those before you start on the actual hardware. I can't see where you're missing anything - you might want some form of interface for your hosting clients.
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea I will have to create that. I am not too worried about that part right now. its just the software side of things for the dns/nameserver/apache getting everything to see each other.. Ive never done this befor so I am trying to learn but I cannot find any good howto's lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts