Running a server....

• mystery_cat
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Singapore, Asia

Post 3+ Months Ago

When Running a server, what things must I consider? :idea:

Which server software is suitable for my needs?

I need a server that.....

1. ...can host files for the internet
2. ...is stable and that doesn't break down
3. ...is affordable

Please help me(ow)!!
==================================== :wink:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The single most important thing, if you intend to "run a server", is to know what your are doing.
If this is required short term, stick with what you know. If it's not something that requires immediate attention, take the time to (objectively) understand your requirements as well as your options.
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I completely agree with Daemonguy. Server administration isn't for the faint of heart! For my needs, Linux webservers were the way to go. Ease of administration and configuration were key, as well as low entry cost. ..but if you're not familiar with Linux, I getting a webserver probably isn't the best time to learn :) I'd get a $50 old computer and run it in your closet for a bit before investing in a webserver. You also need colocation or dedicated hosing space somewhere... but that's a different issue.
  • MidwestMerchant
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

for servers I deff. recommend linux..go with Apache web server..its great and has lots of config options!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a small primer to get you started:
http://www.hostlibrary.com/node/view/196

The fact that you include the requirement "affordable" prompts me to suggest a look into host providers that offer dedicated server solutions.

If it is your intent to own and host your own server, many things need to be considered. The scope of your website's purpose needs to be considered. First you need to purchase the equipment. The hardware alone for a server class machine, a hardware firewall such as a Cicso Pix or equivalent (You do not want to run your own web server without a hardware firewall), routing equipment etc. Then you have the decision to make as others mentioned on the operating system. What to choose? depends. What programming language do you expect to code your site in? If ASP, a Windows OS running IIS for the webserver is in order and you need to add the cost of the operating system and licensing (not to mention an administrator that understands Windows 2003). If PHP, a Linux OS running Apache -- much cheaper overall, but it sorta helps to know Linux.

In the longrun, a managed or unmanaged dedicated server from a reputable hosting company is probably the best route to take when getting started. In a sense it's much like having your own server except that it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.
  • mystery_cat
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for your comments!! i would raellygo with MidwestMerchant and ATNO/TW's opinions!! Thanks guys!!
  • mystery_cat
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that I've a server, and had installed Server OS,

Do I need to set it up before I can host websites or something?

And if I do, how to do it? Thanks very much.

(P.S. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!!)
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have your own server at home, like cat, can you actually host websites? can you create your own website domains and all? or how does it all work, being a web server?

Maybe i'm just curious about the hierarchy of the internet, but unsure of exactly how it all works. I would like to be able to be a web server one day being able to host my own websites and all and maybe others as a small company. How does it all work though?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you may as long as your terms of service agreement with your broadband provider permit such activity.

Your IP is dynamic, but you may use dynamic DNS providers to assign a name to your ever changing IP.
  • mystery_cat
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

search google for "how to set up web servers at home", they'll give you the answers!

Now that I've finally answered my question, let's just close this topic ok?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts