Seeking Ottawa Webmaster to teach me how to get my site up.

• ErinHeather
  • Born
  • Born
  • ErinHeather

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone,
Hopefully I have put this post in the right place.
I am an Ottawa based makeup artist. I have a site on tripod.com, but I want a more customizable, professional site with no pop-up ads, etc, so I bought erinheather.com and paid to have it hosted.

Only one problem....its way more complicated than I thought it would be. I know some basic html, and can design my own stuff, but I need someone to provide me with a tutorial on how to....um....actually make text and graphics appear on the www. Also important would be how to make my site show up on search engines, how to use my @erinheather.com email accounts, how to create a photogallery similiar to this: http://www.lotstar.com/portfolio.html and any other things that you I need to know, but don't yet actually know that I need to know.

If there is anyone in Ottawa who would be interested in teaching me, I would be eternally grateful, as I really need my site up and running, as an advertising tool for myself.

To compensate you, I can either pay you by the hour, or I can trade services with you. For instance, I can give you gift certificates for a makeup lesson and application that you can use for yourself, or give to family or friends.

Anyhoo, hopefully someone will bite, as I am totally lost!
Thanks,
Erin
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Erin,

May I suggest you take a look at a content management solution for your requirements. Meaning, you do not need to know html, etc - to get content published.

As for your email addesses - your host should be able to provide you assistance with this...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

To upload the content of your website you are going to need FTP (File Transfer) which allows you to connect to your website and your computer where the content is stored.

Your hosting company should have provided the settings you will need. A good FTP prog is SmartFTP. I find it very easy to use.

You will need your ftp address it will be something like ftp.erinheather.com - then you will need your username and password - there will be tutorials around on how to upload to your website. SmartFTP have a comprehensive one at http://www.smartftp.com/support/howto/

As for email setting up, your hosting provider should have provided you with login details to your control panel. In the control panel you will be able to set up email addresses. You will need an incoming and outgoing address, your hosting company should provide you with this but usually it us mail.erinheather.com and again you need a username and password to set it up on your Outlook or whatever email client you use to access your email.

There is no reason why you cannot set your website up yourself, what you are looking for is fairly easy to make yourself. Google will be your best friend in finding the right gallery to create for yourself.

Just remember for your website to show online your starting page (the index) should always be called index.html or index.htm - this is what allows it to be seen online.

Here are some photo gallery links to get you started on your search :)

http://www.webpicturecreator.com/
Also try http://www.hotscripts.com/ and search for Photo Gallery, there are pages and pages of options.

Good luck! :D
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent post Musik and a great guide for all those first starting out and trying to get their website online...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts