self-hosted website DNS question

• blitzwurst
  • Born
  • Born
  • blitzwurst

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm setting up a web server so we can host our website locally instead of using our current commercial hosting service (in order to access certain local databases etc).

My question is what do I need to set the Domain Name Server entries to in order for them to work with the new location of our website ?

Do they need to be our ISP's name servers? Do we need to run our own Name Server?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If nobody else is running NS servers for you, you'll need to run your own.

The big question here is, does your ISP ALLOW you to run a web server on your connection?
  • blitzwurst
  • Born
  • Born
  • blitzwurst

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the prompt reply John.

Yes, our ISP allows us to run a server.. although they aren't being too helpful.

So am I correct in thinking I can set up DNS (following the instructions on Microsofts technet website) on the same Windows machine as the web server ?

Otherwise would it need to be a seperate machine which is accessible from the outside world?

Thanks again.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, personally, I wouldn't trust Windows to run a production server, heh.

But, theoretically, yes, you could run it all on a single windows machine.

Me, I'd setup a couple of Linux boxes. One for the Primary DNS and MySQL (assuming you're using MySQL), and one for Secondary DNS and Apache/PHP.
  • blitzwurst
  • Born
  • Born
  • blitzwurst

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great. Good to know at least I'm not going in completely the wrong direction.

Unfortunately we are stuck with Windows, as far as I know there is no Linux driver for the database (dbisam) we need to connect to :(

Thanks for your help.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have dedicated ip address on the internet connection that you will be using to host the site? If you do then you job is really pretty easy. You should be able to create DNS A entries at the domain registrar where you have your domain name registered. Point these A entires to your ip address and you should be all set. Add MX records if you will be running a email server as well.

Well you have to make sure that your firewall and/or router passes http requests to the proper internal ip (ie the web server)

If you not have a dedicated ip then you will need to use a service like dyndns to keep your domain name pointing to the correct ip address.

I do some consulting work for a small company that runs there web and email servers this way on windows servers. So long as the servers are kept current with patches you should be fine.

Hope that helps.
  • blitzwurst
  • Born
  • Born
  • blitzwurst

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even better! Yep we have an IP address for the web server so we're all set!

I kindof hoped you could do something like that but I thought it was too simple to work :D

Thanks Harry.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts