Server hack, data recovery

• marinajc
  • marinajc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Data recovery

My server was hacked and I had over 40 databases on there. Everything was shut down. The hosting company had to clean the server off and I had to ftp 100 sites back up.

How difficult is it to recover databases fuly in tact? Should I expect my host to be able to recover all of them? What is the usual fee for a hosting company to do this kind of recovery?

My host wants to implement a "disaster recovery plan" in case a hack of this magnitude again and says it will be an extra 60 -80 dollars per month for this plan. This plan will allow data to be easily restored , he said. Does this sound right?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's nuts. First of all they should have already had a disaster recovery plan which includes daily backups. They should have already had you restored and working for free. I'd say find a new host.
  • marinajc
  • marinajc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I talked to Godaddy.com and they charge $150 for data recovery if hosting with them, so charging a fee isnt unsusual

What I dont really understand is why the databases are so time consuming to recover? Is this to be expected? It looks like they have everything in place on the old hard drive?

Should I expected all databases to be recovered? Or is this too much to expect. I've been paying $149 per month for this dedicated server and I know I am losing money because of the of the database sites that are down. Shouold I expect some kind of compensation for this lost data or expect it all to be recoevered. I'm really at a loss here.

Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still think that's a crock. Unless something in your scripts caused a security breach and they have it in their TOS they won't support your errors.. Nonetheless, they still should have backups and be able to restore the server and database without your assistance.
  • PHP_Guru
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

My Host Charges:

10$ For A Firewall
10$ For Tech Supprt
15$ For Daily Backups (Or Non @ All)

So If That Happens, Im Done. I Backup Myself Though.
  • marinajc
  • marinajc

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not primarily the charges I'm concerned about. It's the recovery of the databases. Surely, there must be a standard method of recovery. Some of the programs with databases, like Autorank he is having to reinstall. I dont really understand databases, but it seems to me there must be a better and quicker method of recovery.
  • PHP_Guru
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Clermont, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, What I Forgot To Mention.

If Your Host Doesnt Charge You (or) Say They Do Backups.

You Are Probably 'Screwed'. :flush:
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Data backup should not and cannot be assumed when procuring a dedicated server. $149/month for a dedicated server is pretty cheap, I dont think the responsibility for backup falls with your host. This is def something you shouldve checked before hand. The problem with DB backups are that databases are dynamic - additionally, each database on your server is a separate instance. There are several data backup applications that can handle this sort of thing, but, it generally isnt cheap (ie back up and recover a specific instance of each database in an environment based on a snapshot at pre-determined intervals)... http://www.ca.com has one of the best solutions available for this, especially in a mysql environment...

In an ideal world, you really should have 3 levels of backup:

1) RAID configuration (preferably RAID5 with striping)
2) onsite backups of each domain and each instance of mysql (daily or more often is ideal)
3) offsite complete disaster recovery (preferably daily)

If you were in a shared or reseller environment, I would agree with the others - no backup, move on. However, in a dedicated environment, you simply cannot expect these sorts of services without paying for them.. Additionally, you should understand - before procuring a dedicated server - to what level you are protected (ie what is already in place).

Considering your current situation, if you do not have a back up of your DB's, you may be out of luck. Hopefully your provider has something they can recover from, but, I would expect a fee for this. Again, the only time I wouldnt expect a fee for disaster recovery is if you are a shared or reseller customer and the data loss was due in no part to any of your own actions.

Data recovery isnt always an easy task, even with the most sophisticated tools. As a provider, if you dont attach a fee to this, you will be flooded daily with requests to restore a file or an image that was accidentally deleted....
  • marinajc
  • marinajc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your info is precisely what I've been searching to find.

Thank you for your expertise.
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHP_Guru wrote:
My Host Charges:

10$ For A Firewall
10$ For Tech Supprt
15$ For Daily Backups (Or Non @ All)

So If That Happens, Im Done. I Backup Myself Though.

$10 for 1 hour tech support or this is the cost of a support request ?
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that the host should have backups. We provide this to all customers dedicated or not on a weekly basis regardless of whether or not they subscribe to our backup plan. These backups are sent to a secure remote location for the very purpose of Disaster Recovery. If a customer subscribes to our backup plan then they may also request data restoration for any reason at any time. If they do not subscribe to our Backup Plan and no disaster has befallen then they will incur an hourly administrative charge for said restoration. We thought that was fair to all parties concerned and allowed customers desiring more frequent backups the option for the same.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts