Server

• Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I've decided to build my own server, what do you think of the specs? Has anyone had any bad experiences with any of these parts/brands?

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz Processor
Chaintech SPT800 (VIA) motherboard
1 GB Ultra PC 3200 memory
2 Western Digital 80 GB hard drives (RAID 1)
Intel Genuine Cooling Fan
xFX GeForce 2 Video Card (I just had it lying around)
I'm also using an old case w/ a 425 w power supply.

I think this thing will be a beast of a computer. Plus, it'll cost less than $500 shipped...

If only either of my personal computers were this fast... :(
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW, does anyone see a major flaw with this backup system. (Remember, I'm only going to host local sites until I have to funds and resources to implement a better system)

The HDs will be set in RAID 1 (Mirroring), and all files will be backed up into a tarball on the disks every night. So, if a file is damaged, it can be recovered from the tarball.

Also, a tarball will be stored locally on my personal computer once a month incase of massive catastrophic failure (i.e. fire, tornado, hurrican, wrath of God)

Is there any way I could lose the data on my disks other than if a fire or the like would occur? The only plausable situation I can think of is if a cracker breaks in and deletes everything.
  • placid psychosis
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Warsaw, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a lot of things that could cause both disks to fail. Power surge, overheating, controller failure (sometimes the controller board going out will damage the drives)...

But really you should be fine. I'd make weekly backups to a remote host, maybe burn them to a CD-RW.

Also, if you'll be using an old case double check the dimensions of the board and the case. Sometimes newer boards won't fit into older cases properly. Other than that, make sure you have good cooling and you'll be good to go. Nothing wrong with the config you have laid out, as far as I know.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I'm not worried about surges because the power is conditioned, but I was wondering if the controller could damage both disks. I guess that answers my question.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Duplexing is a more fault tolerant alternative to mirroring:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/rai ... el1-c.html
Quote:
A variant of RAID 1 is duplexing, which duplicates the controller card as well as the drive, providing tolerance against failures of either a drive or a controller.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts