servers in Europe

• ibragimm
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are the most reliable places to use European servers from?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Probably Europe.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Probably Europe.

:lol:
  • eashop
  • Born
  • Born
  • eashop

Post 3+ Months Ago

My server is located in Europe, I have a server in the USA.
Most of Europe is on my own, going super well
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Probably Europe.

Hah!

Now that's funny.

More complicated answer; depends upon the peering of the backbone provider.

But yes, more than likely, what he said. ;)
  • aimiez
  • Born
  • Born
  • aimiez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if your target market is local and since you mention about Europe, then the best Host is also in Europe since to promote locally, better get locally developed host.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

aimiez wrote:
Well, if your target market is local and since you mention about Europe, then the best Host is also in Europe since to promote locally, better get locally developed host.

As I eluded to, that is not necessarily accurate.

For instance, a host which peers through several hops to a limited backbone might actually peer more slowly than another hosted in a different country directly peered with a superior backbone.
  • franticuser
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • franticuser

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to add that there are companies which provide onshore and offshore services (koddos is one of them) and that's very convenient to use such companies.
Any web master's needs can be satisfied with them.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

just get 2-3 servers and link them all togeather or make mirrors for the site and run all the servers off the one database.

Some code to add to do so but not much else you can do, it is like CPU's can't make them much bigger so just need to add more of them.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
just get 2-3 servers and link them all togeather or make mirrors for the site and run all the servers off the one database.

Some code to add to do so but not much else you can do, it is like CPU's can't make them much bigger so just need to add more of them.

I don't think that suits the individuals needs who asked the question. I assumed they were looking for a single host within their home country, which as I stated previously is not necessarily the best option, cost and ROI not-withstanding.

If time-to-customer is valuable and the site relies heavily upon data contained in some db technology, then you risk the speed you just acquired by hosting your web servers across multiple data centers by long-hauling db traffic to complete page construction. If you meant 2-3 servers per a single site, I fail to see how that addresses the concerns of geo-location.

I'll state again for clarity, that is is quite possible to host your site in a different country and still possess the level of response expected if properly peered.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
Zealous wrote:

Quote:
I don't think that suits the individuals needs who asked the question. I assumed they were looking for a single host within their home country, which as I stated previously is not necessarily the best option, cost and ROI not-withstanding.

hhmm i can't remember the point i was trying to make then again i was on the other side of the board from being sober that night hahaha oh well

To the topic starter just go through hosting review sites and pick one as long as they have been around for a while most of them do the same job and work. With a little background research you can find good ones easy. anything alive more then 12 months is good, if you find a full one you can move a site from server to server without a issue. does not take that long.

Go for gold
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous wrote:
Daemonguy wrote:
Zealous wrote:

Quote:

hhmm i can't remember the point i was trying to make then again i was on the other side of the board from being sober that night hahaha oh well

To the topic starter just go through hosting review sites and pick one as long as they have been around for a while most of them do the same job and work. With a little background research you can find good ones easy. anything alive more then 12 months is good, if you find a full one you can move a site from server to server without a issue. does not take that long.

Go for gold

Wow. 'Have you been up 12 months? Good, dandy. ' That's it? :)

I fear my list of questions to a prospective host is a tad bit longer and more involved. A few examples:
1. How long have you been in business? Are you incorporated or LLC? (there's yours :))
2. Who do you peer with?
3. Do you have any empirical data to support average round-trip-times to various points that are important to me and my business? Such as those gathered from Keynote or Gomez Networks?
4. Do you possess any physical or virtual redundancy in your architecture?
5. May I see your architectural decisions document?
6. What security services do you provide? Do you force the creation of egress ACL's?
7. What zone structure do you employ? Are application services bound behind another security framework?
8. Are there available any server load balancing implementations?
9. What level of support may I expect for sev 1 (as defined by our DOU)?
10. How often are your servers updated with patch levels either at source or binary? What do you run for web serving architecture? Application serving? Database?
11. Do you provide backup strategies and if so, what are they?
12. How many consumers (via virtual servers) are affixed to each hardware platform? How do you address the consequence of inadequate IO? Disk access? Bandwidth? CPU threading?

So that's a basic shortlist. Perhaps I am just too demanding.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts