ServINT Virtual Servers - good way to go?

• hamishrp
  • Born
  • Born
  • hamishrp

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I've been on an OKAY reseller for some time but a few of my sites are popular so are very slow on shared web servers at times. (We don't sell the web hosting to people but simply host all our sites on it) This means I'm having to move over to a better host!

I thought seeing as a i need to have a fast service that a dedicated solution would be good - Linux apache sort of thing - however my knowledge of how servers should be managed and maintained is not amazing. I think I could maintain it but it's just the setup that I might find hard. However, i'm a fast learner.

I found a company called servINT
http://www.servint.com

They have a very good reputation for quality, based on my searches online. They provide virtual dedicated servers with a ample amount of the software required already installed for hosting (Control panels, FTP & Mail stuff needed plus anything on request).

Based on the fact that I am no expert on the way web servers work, do you guys think that a virtual dedicated server is a more plausible step to take from being used to shared hosting?

Are the web hosts/other options that i've not yet considered fully?

Many thanks! :D
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

VPS/VDS give you root access. Since you are not adept at server management I think this is a bad idea for you. I think you need a fully managed Dedicated or Semi-Dedicated solution. You don't want to learn server admininstration on a production box. Mistakes here are likely to result in serious downtime.

Many of the reseller/Semi-Dedicated solutions being offered today result in overselling and/or crowding of the server. Unless your site(s) are heavily dependent upon php and mysql you should do well in a Semi-Dedicated enviorment that is not crowded or oversold. Provided your sites are trafficing in less than 500GB per month.
  • hamishrp
  • Born
  • Born
  • hamishrp

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many of the sites we're hosting are highly dependent on php and mysql, which is why I think we're having issues with speed.

ServINT VPS (i think that is semi-dedicated) is a managed solution and they outline what they mean by this on the link below...

http://www.servint.com/vps/faq.php#14

From that page i think they must manage and maintain the site to a high standard while as the account holder, I have to configure the server to my needs using the control panels etc..

Which sounds find to me as I am familiar with it all.

Has anyone here had any experience with ServINT?

Thanks 'Uncensored'
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Considering this their VPS solution will not improve your situation. You will need a minimum of 1GB RAM and I strongly urge 2GB. Their largest plan only has 768MB RAM.

hamishrp wrote:
Many of the sites we're hosting are highly dependent on php and mysql, which is why I think we're having issues with speed.

Thanks 'Uncensored'

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts