Setting up a nameserver for my IP

• Cygon
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cygon
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi!

I'm having some problems understanding the concept of nameservers. I know a DNS lookup translates from domain names to IPs or delegating to other DNS server for first-level, second-level etc. domain names. Now this seemed rather easy: get a server, get a domain and then make it point to the server's IP, or so I thought....

I got myself a VDS running debian linux at http://www.linuxvds.com and also a domain from http://www.ubernic.com (a domain registrar). Now those ubernic.com guys do not want an IP address to point my domain name to, but 2 nameservers. Huh ? Were should I pull those from ?

Some HowTos at http://www.linuxvds.com explain how to set up 'named', a name resolution daemon, or, as I understand it, a DNS server which I could also use to create further sub-domains. After configuring 'named', I actually have two nameservers (ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com) running in that machine which I can ping.

But - of course - not from any other machine, since the real mydomain.com is not yet in any way associated with my machine's IP. So when I enter "ns1.mydomain.com" and "ns2.mydomain.com" at ubernic.com for my domain name, it simply can't find those nameservers.

Hoping someone can clear this up. I'm already googling around for nameservers and DNSs for hours ;)

-Markus-
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello - if you want to set up your own nameservers - traditionally you would require 2 dedicated IP's from your provider (or 2 service IP's that could act as dedicated IP's)

Goto your registrar and register your nameservers (ie ns1 = ded IP 1 and ns 2 = ded IP 2).

By the sounds of your issue above - just get your IP addresses from your host (or your control panel) and register that at your registrar - you should be fine after this...

Hope this helps...

Once your nameservers are set up, you can point your own domains and your customer domains to your own nameservers
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your webhost does not provide the DNS with your package, you can use the nameservers for free from zoneedit.com
  • GimmeMyDomains
  • Student
  • Student
  • GimmeMyDomains

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also like everydns.net Free and easy to manage all your DNS entries.
  • bozboz
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • bozboz
  • Loc: Brighton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive been wanting to do this for a while as well thanks for the info
  • franticuser
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • franticuser

Post 3+ Months Ago