Setting up my own website for a rattery/small animal service

• AmyTville
  • Born
  • Born
  • AmyTville
  • Loc: Wirral

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I'm new here, and also new to setting up websites etc. I want to set up my website but really dont know where to begin. Where would be best to rent a server etc?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are just starting out, I recommend a low-cost shared web hosting. They are around $5/month (roughly, as prices do vary quite a bit).

I like Hostmonster and Dreamhost. But here are some other web hosts for you to do some comparison shopping.

I would not go for free web hosting.

Once you find a webhost, you can get your domain name through them as well (usually the case). Domain names cost about $10/year. But many web host offer them for free if you rent their servers.

When you register for your domain name, your information is publicly available in the whois domain name lookup. If you do not want this, I recommend that you select (or pay for) "private domain name registration". Both Hostmonster and Dreamhost offer this.
  • AmyTville
  • Born
  • Born
  • AmyTville
  • Loc: Wirral

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's great, thank you. I'll go and have a look at those now. Do you charge for your banners?
  • twodays
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • twodays

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do not rent a server.
I personally like Dreamhost. They are great. You can get one year of hosting and a domain for $22.40 with the promo code: twodayslate97. That is less than $2.00 a month! For more information click here or visit their website!
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have heard horror stories about Dreamhost limiting the amount of CPU cycles and such. I am currently working with several Dreamhost refugees. I recall there being a post on this board somewhere about Dreamhost, definitely do some research first.

Good luck
  • micksss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Between the two you considered I would not go with dreamhost. HostMonster is much better and their support is outstanding.
  • Dave White
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Dave White

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO all the web hosting providers have their won strength and weakness, You need to be smart enough to pick the one who meets your expectation and is hassel free.
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pubdomains, i don't think offers are welcome on ozzu are they? In any event, generally if your starting out, shared hosting is your best option. Its cheapest and is quick and dirty. If your site is more intensive then a VPS would be the attire.

You have quite a few options when starting out, first time ever, i would register a domain with a well known provider and choose hosting elsewhere, ie: domain and hosting would be with diff. companies. What sort of budget are we looking at here?
  • shahneel81
  • shahneel81

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may try http://www.centroot.net/
they have a package nowadays with 100 MB for just $4.99/year
it is best for small level business and personal websites. apart from it they also offer customizable packages
  • Underneath
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess you will need A shared hosting plan plus a dedicated IP and SSL certificate if you expect your visitors to leave their personal info on your site.
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would recommend an SSL if you are gathering the information, if its a checkout page, then let your merchant handle that, as they normally would.
  • funnyface
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • funnyface
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get a cheap planwith moneyback guarantee to go back if you don't like them.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say dreamhost would suit your needs.
  • Samuraii
  • Student
  • Student
  • Samuraii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Consider also companies offering dedicated and VPS services. I recomend you have a look at: A2hosting.com and odsol.com
  • prtscr
  • Born
  • Born
  • prtscr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to recommend Site5, I've been trying out other web hosts over the time but always ended up with them in the end anyway.
  • artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dreamhost seems fine. Although, they don't have phone support. What's up with that? What happens if I'm doing a domain name transfer and lost access to my emails. I think 24/7 phone support is a must for any web host. That is why I like HostGator, HostMonster, BlueHost.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

prtscr - You certainly would like to recommend them, it seems:

prtscr wrote:
Site5

750GB storage
    7,5TB bandwith
    unlimited amount of domains
    from $5/month

prtscr wrote:
At Site5 you get 7,5TB of bandwith

prtscr wrote:
I would like to recommed Site5. I have used a lot of different host over the time and they are my favourite so far!

prtscr wrote:
Have you seen Site5s reseller package, if not, check it out!

prtscr wrote:
I like Site5, I've been trying out a lot of different web hosts but always ended up with them again.

prtscr wrote:
Have you checked out Site5? I'm been doing web design work the last 10 years and that's my all time favourite host that I use for all my sites.

Throw in your post in this topic too... Wow, all you're posts are recommendations for Site5... And all of them use your affiliate link to boot. Very smooth.
  • Atrus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Atrus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hear a lot of bad things about Dreamhost, but very good things about Hostmonster... I personally like http://www.anhosting.com as they have superb support. I've tried quite a few hosts and their support is by far the best, plus you get quite a bit for your money.

Scott

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts