Setting Up a web host bueiness

• rawmessiah
  • Born
  • Born
  • rawmessiah
  • Loc: Townsville/Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys

I'm setting up a small webhosting bossiness here in Townsville for local business
Hardware
------------------------------------------------------
Intel P4 3.20 GHZ
1 80 gb Western Digital
1 80 Gb Buffer Hard-drive Western Digital
1 SATA GB Hard-drive Western digital
Maxtor 512 DDR RAm 7200 RPM
Software Xp Professional OEM
------------------------------------------------------

can someone help use out on where to start i'm using fedoracore 4 can that handle the dns server on windows xp pro ? i tried looking for some information in the help topic but nothin ......

would like to sell domain names
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, if you don't know how to set up the services you need, running your own server may not be the best bet.
I am not trying to belittle you or your efforts, but there are literally a million things that can go wrong every day, and if you don't have the skillset to deal with them you are destined for failure.

Try a reseller account first. Then after awhile and some experience, you can look into dedicated hosting.
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps you may want to try reselling at a shared level or VPS? Isn't Red hat fedora and WinXP two different Operating systems? Do you plan to use Apache or IIS? What web hosting control panel software do you intend on using? That is a big expense sometimes.
  • photongroups
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • photongroups

Post 3+ Months Ago

Setuping a Server is very expensive u have to have 24 hour power and Internet connection.

Then original operating system softwares are need?

Next Web mail system and Control panel cost so high.

Next u cant maintain the server as ur beginner.

so to start ur own hosting business i can help u by giving reseller plan.I think u might of know about reseller plan.

I can give reseller plan for Hosting,designing,Chat client at website,Mail system for corporates,Template store,Payment gateway,Public domain registration,search engine submission and optimization.

The investment is so low so if ur intertested contact me at photongroups@yahoo.com sooon
  • Pierquinto
  • Born
  • Born
  • Pierquinto

Post 3+ Months Ago

Improvisation is ruining the hosting world...
  • workingwebmaster
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • workingwebmaster

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG, Good luck! Its going to be alot of hard work!
  • BenS
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • BenS

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Rawmessiah,

Starting a web hosting business means planning it, and putting a lot of dedication into it. Buying servers also for your business doesn't come cheap, and you need some experience in using a server. What about client support? Every client wishes to have the best hosting experience ever, so providing 24/7 support is a must. Good luck in starting your business but looking into planning it is the best for any new business.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should absolutely NEVER use XP for a web hosting server, and I sincerely mean NEVER. It is not a server software. And I completely agree with what the others have said. You are not prepared with either hardware, nor knowledge to set up your own hosting. A reseller account with a reliable host would be a better, cheaper and easier alternative for you.
  • ash
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

1st don't be discouraged, just because these guys don't want u to setup because there's billions of people setting up their own hosting, start with apache, its easier to setup on xp then linux.
  • john5269
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • john5269

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is rather alot to know when it comes to setting up a web hosting business or running your own servers. Setting them up is hard enough, then you have to install softwares, keep them up and running, talk to customers, make sure the servers are secure, etc.
  • angus930
  • angus930
  • Loc: Bathurst, NSW, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello I am also interested in starting my own hosting business.
Just a few questions:

1) What Management Panel should i use?
2) How do i go about registering domains
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would use Cpanel...... but i am unsure about how to go about using domains....
  • surgematrix
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

You had better start as a reseller and learn the nuts and bolts of the business before trying a dedicated server.
  • harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

angus930 wrote:
Hello I am also interested in starting my own hosting business.
Just a few questions:

2) How do i go about registering domains

Ans :Choosing management panel depends on your operating system, if you are on linux you may choose from cPanel, plesk, h-sphere etc and if you are on windows you have options such as WHM, Cube Panel, helm etc...
I love to use cPanel because it is very easy to use features;
2) How do i go about registering domains?
Ans :Decide your domain name with required tld or cc-tld and check for it's availability with different registrar.

Initially going with reseller hosting will give you some idea about how this business runs and if you are successful then you should go for your own dedicated server.
  • john551
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • john551

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi rawmessiah ,

1. To register domains for you and your clients, you can do it from registars like directi, enom, godaddy. (You can become a domain reseller)

2. Control panel -- If you are going to have a linux OS, go for cpanel/whm or Plesk. There are free control panels too, like directadmin etc.. but not very fearure friendly.

3. Decide on OS.( Are you going to host static sites or php/mysql sites or jsp sites or microsoft specific asp/asp.net sites.....?). If you use asp, asp.net go for windows 2003 OS. Else go for centos or fedora.

4. After OS, comes softwares. For linux (apache, mysql, ftpserver, bind, etc. ) Pay a professional to set up a server by paying him a one time charge. He will install all the softwares necessary as well harden your server for vulnerabilities.

5. You can hire somebody to maintain the server or outsource the management to somebody like serversupportguys, platinumservermanagement etc.

Now the other option is to start with a reseller account, from companies like hostgator and when you have about 100 clients, move to dedicated server of your own.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts