Shared Hosting vs. Reseller Hosting -- Host Gator

• locust
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I signed up for reseller hosting through http://www.hostgator.com about a month ago. I would like to have a web design company and shield my clients from all the technical details involved. So, I'll register their domain name and provide the hosting for them. Because I am new to this, I initially thought I would have to be a reseller, but I discovered "shared hosting" and thought that this would be more what I'm looking for.

I would like to host all the domains on my own server. Further, I would like to have the ability to install a CMS like joomla, php-nuke and an eCommerce system on the same server. According to Host Gator, you can buy one of their hosting plans and have "unlimited" domains.

Has anyone done this before? If so, can you tell me how it is done? For example, would I set up subdirectories under the public_html directory for each domain (website) I create for my clients? And, can I point multiple domains to these subdirectories on my domain?

After writing this I can see why it's so confusing to me...because it is.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• harrysmith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harrysmith
  • Loc: Leeds

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are looking to resell your hosting package and want to make money then reseller is best option; on shared hosting you have limited access and you may face some security issues.

We too offer reseller hosting just for £9.99/month please visit : http://www.webhosting.uk.com/reseller.php
and shared hosting for £19.99/yearly more details at : http://www.webhosting.uk.com/linux-hosting.php
  • rllunzmann
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • rllunzmann
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

this isn't an offers section is it?

Locust, don't jump on any offer, please research all in's and out's. You definetly set the pace right by using a shared reseller plan. When you get enough clients, i suggest a dedicated server. I prefer to use WHM/cPanel for our clients. cPanel with Fantastico is a great combination that will allow you to install hundreds of complex scripts in a single click, its really easy too. What control panel do they have you using? hmm not sure what you mean by pointing the domain at your sub-directories but i presume if your registering a domain for your clients, you will change the name servers (DNS) on that domain to point to your web server. Otherwise, do you intend to have your cutomers use subdomains such as?

client1.yourdomain.com
client2.yourdomain.com

Best Regards!
  • charlesgan
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

as per T&C, you can not resell the domain/hosting from your shared hosting plan. And the worst in future is that, your client dont even have their own control panel.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts