Shared SSL Certificate by hosting company - is that fine?

• Tonzilit
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why should I get an SSL Certificate when my hosting provider has a shared one? Where can I obtain a private SSL certificate for my website?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• hostrea
  • Loc: OH-IO

Post 3+ Months Ago

To get an ssl certificate you will also need a dedicated IP address. Depending on you host they can run between $1-$3 per month.

Right now name cheap is about the cheapest for a dedicated SSL, they offer a RapidSSL for 12.88/yr.
  • franticuser
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • franticuser

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you need a private SSL certificate, you may have it from innohosting company, they use it from GeoTrust.
They cost not much and many options they offer.-
  • Pof
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Pof

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are desperately looking for secure SSL Certificates, I can recommend you to check webhostgiant.com offers. They also have cheap Linux and Windows shared web hosting plans and it is focused on delivering e-commerce web hosting. Hope this info will be useful for your request.
  • HelenBray
  • Born
  • Born
  • HelenBray

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can use a shared certificate but it will your use your ISP domain name and what ever name you add to it. So it will look like https:// yourdomain.ispdomainname.com . Some people want to see your full domain name in the certificate. Server Intellect offers 49$ SSL certificates per year. Pretty cheap and easy to setup if you need it. http://serverintellect.com/products/ssl/
  • vision
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently purchased an SSL key, 10 year expiration from godaddy. By purchasing the 10 year version there was a 20% discount.

On top of that I had a coupon for 50% off SSL. The end result was amazingly cheap.

Final cost was $120 for 10 years, or about $12 per year for SSL. It was a deal too good to pass up.

If anyone is interested, I think the coupon code was PROMOSSL to get the 50% off discount.
  • Bian015
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bian015

Post 3+ Months Ago

vision wrote:
I recently purchased an SSL key, 10 year expiration from godaddy. By purchasing the 10 year version there was a 20% discount.

On top of that I had a coupon for 50% off SSL. The end result was amazingly cheap.

Final cost was $120 for 10 years, or about $12 per year for SSL. It was a deal too good to pass up.

If anyone is interested, I think the coupon code was PROMOSSL to get the 50% off discount.

Why should I get an SSL Certificate when my hosting provider has a shared one? Where can I obtain a private SSL certificate for my website?
  • vision
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

A shared SSL key is only good if you don't mind an error when the user connects.

The hosting company may have a shared key for something like host1.hostingcompany.com, so you could apply that key to certpaper.com but anyone connecting via SSL to certpaper.com will be informed the cert does not match the domain.

Robert G.
  • tan_go
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think it's better to start from shared SSL certificate and hostingincanada is a good company to use it from.
They provide them a lot and you are able to use the one what is good for your specific needs only.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts