Someones messing with my server.

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a Apache installation on my computer and every once in a while I'll put my server on the internet to show my friends something real quick and take it off. I never keep it on for too long.

But tonight I had it on for a while and the server was running kind of slow so I went and checked my connections with TCPView (a glorified netstat gui program) and low and behold I have/had some random IP connecting to my server sending stuff and closing connection and keeps sending "SYN_RCVD" and just doing weird stuff in general. So I did a lookup and the address is from Slovakia? My friends definitaly don't live there and weren't looking at my server anyway. So I was like "hmmm"... what if this is a proxy server. So I go into FF, set my connection to the IP as a proxy server and IT WORKS?

My days of paranoia are over, I'm a graduated e-nub and don't really care. But, how do I find out who the hell this is, or what should I do about it? If I block the IP with my firewall I'm sure they'll just use another one. They already switched the IP once. The original IP changed.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would block the IP anyway. In fact block the entire block of IPs based on the whois info You can also alert the people who own the proxy, that it's being used for attempted DoS attacks even though they might look for another one.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I keep getting SYN_RCVD every second on random ports. Okay I figured out how to block it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts