SSH?

• lerch
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lerch

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all. I am looking into buying a server. But on my current reseller account I host about 52 accounts. Then I heard of SSH, and that it could transfer accounts with MySQL databases and passwords. And that it was sooo much easyer then using Cpanel to move that account. Is this true? Do you have tips for me?
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uh, huh?

SSH stands for Secure Shell, which is a form of access via cryptographic authentication. It's merely a secure form of communication.
SSH is actually a suite of three utilities - slogin, ssh, and scp - that are secure versions of the earlier UNIX utilities, rlogin, rsh, and rcp. SSH commands are encrypted and secure in several ways. Both ends of the client/server connection are authenticated using a digital certificate, and passwords are protected by being encrypted. SSH uses RSA public key cryptography for both connection and authentication. Encryption algorithms include Blowfish, DES, and IDEA. IDEA is the default.
Now via SCP you could migrate files securely, if that was your intended goal. I am not really sure what that buys you specifically for MySQL; I imagine you would still have to export your database and import into the new system.
My best advice to you is, hire a good sysad. ;)

Cheers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts