switching to dedicated server - questions

• jpg
  • jpg
  • Loc: Florida Keys

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently with Hostcentric and have been, for the most part, happy with their service for the last 6 years.

Every once in a while they surprise us with an out of proportion charge. Last month they tacked an extra $325 to our bill for a forum site that is over the allotted server space. The are charging $5 per 20 megs for overage. We spoke with them about solutions and are considering a dedicated server.

Their starter managed server is around $210.

I have also been checking in to an un-managed server. Prices are greatly varied.

This will be our first time with a dedicated server. Most of the ones we are looking at use Plesk, which seems easy enough.

My main concern is security with an un-managed server.

What other concerns should I have?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• NW-Allwin
  • NW-Allwin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Security, Security. Uptime. Network Quality. OS. Control Panel. Support time :) . Since you are running a forum, the configuration and RAM too would be an issue :)

Security is a major issue nowadays and I have seen enough sites get hacked due to lack of a proper kernel update, exploitable scripts, not securing of /tmp directories etc etc.

Take your time in searching for a good option and also if you can't adminster the server , you can try going for a fully managed service which would take care of it all for you.

Regards,
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, on a dedicated box that you manage yourself, security is the responsiblity of the renter (you), not the provider.

I rent several boxes, and it's my job to keep them secure. If they are hacked, the buck stops with me, not the people from whom I rent those boxes.

Knowing how to use the operating system is key, whether you manage it yourself or whether somebody else manages it.

I know WAY WAY too many people who go out and rent a box, because their sites are now too big for most virtual hosting packages. So, they rent the box, upload the files, and then they're stuck, they have absolutely NO idea what they're doing when it comes to Linux... I can't remember how many times they've called up their providers to ask them to reinstall the OS, or login and disable the firewall cuz they accidentally blocked SSH ;)
  • jpg
  • jpg

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think we are going to go with the managed server.

The specs are:

P4 1.7 GHz processor · 256MB RAM· 40 GB IDE hard drive

Included software:· RedHat 9.0· Perl· MySQl

100Mbps Ethernet connection · 2 IP address

24x7 technical support·

400GB of monthly traffic

for $216 a month

opiinions?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen much better deals...

One of the boxes I rent is..

Intel Celery 1.3Ghz, 1Gig RAM, 2x60Gig EIDE hard drives
RedHat 7.3, Ensim, Perl, MySQl, etc, etc, etc.

400Gig/mo bandwidth..

And that's costing like $159/mo, but then I manage that myself...

That system only runs a single website (with IRC server), so it's MORE than capable of doing what it needs to do.

The other servers, for the hosting accounts, comprise..

Dual Xeon 2Ghz Processors
1 or 2Gig RAM
2x73Gig Ultrawide SCSI drives
1TB/mo bandwidth..

Those are costing about $250/mo, again, managed by me.

The specs on the box you listed are cool, and if you can go for that price, great. I just don't believe in spending money to get others to do things I can do myself. One thing you WILL want to do is get more ram. I wouldn't rent a production web server with anything less than a Gig.
  • NW-Allwin
  • NW-Allwin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Again,

jpg wrote:
I think we are going to go with the managed server.
The specs are:
P4 1.7 GHz processor · 256MB RAM· 40 GB IDE hard drive
Included software:· RedHat 9.0· Perl· MySQl
100Mbps Ethernet connection · 2 IP address
24x7 technical support·
400GB of monthly traffic
for $216 a month
opiinions?

If you ask me, I would ask you hike the RAM to atleast 512 MB RAM. On all our hosting servers we run 1 - 2 GB RAM, but for a normal dedicated server 512 MB is good.

Processor is good - No problem there.

Drive - Wouldn't you want a backup drive ? I would strongly recommend one. Data loss or hack happens only once, but you need to be prepared.

OS - RH7 and RH9 have been promised updates only till April end 2004. You should consider Red Hat Enterprise or FreeBSD.

I don't frequent the forum often, so if you have any queries simply dash off an email to me.

Regards,
  • jpg
  • jpg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply Axe. We have never managed our own server, and while I am sure we can learn, I don't want to take any chances in the interim.

As far as un-managed servers go, some of the best prices I have found are through server4you.com - see http://server4you.com/us/dedicated/index.html
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your best bet, if you eventually want to save yourself some money and manage your own servers, simply build up a spare system at home - it doesn't have to be anything elaborate... 233-500Mhz, and 128Meg RAM is enough - install Linux, and start playing. :)

Then when you feel confident in your abilities with Linux, you can go ahead and start administering your own box, and save yourself a few bucks :)
  • genxservers
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • genxservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

We are a hosting company that specializes in dedicated servers and gaming servers. Because of the fact that we do gaming servers, our bandwidth HAVE to be of the highest quality available. Gamers are among the pickiest server renters. No one would rent a game server with even a slight lag.

But due to the fact that we buy our bandwidth in larg quantity, we can pass the saving down.

We can offer a much better dedicated server package than what has been posted.

3.0 Ghz 800fsb processor
1.0 GB of PC3200 Ram
120GB hard drive

+ an unmetered 1mb/s internet line burtable up to 10mb/s or 100mb/s
(1mb will measure based on 95th percentile rule .. unmetered meaning no total transfer cap. You can use the line to your hearts content.)

No setup fee. No long term contract, we can go month to month. Or if you want to sign a 6 month or 1 year contract and pay upfront, we can lower the price a bit.

Server will be have RH9 or FreeBSD. If you want Windows, it will be a couple bucks extra monthly

You will also have access to our remote power unit to power cycle your server as you wish.

We are currently offering all this for $200 a month.

Any question, please contact me direct on aim @ either genxservers or genxsupport.

OR email me at mailbox@genxservers.com
  • world4health
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Miami

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Your best bet, if you eventually want to save yourself some money and manage your own servers, simply build up a spare system at home - it doesn't have to be anything elaborate... 233-500Mhz, and 128Meg RAM is enough - install Linux, and start playing. :)

Then when you feel confident in your abilities with Linux, you can go ahead and start administering your own box, and save yourself a few bucks :)

I agree with Axe, you need to understand OS basics before you go balistic trying to host your own. 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts