The future of hosting

• sofy60
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sofy60

Post 3+ Months Ago

The future of hosting

Who thinks websites will be hosted on the home pc one day ? When is this day coming ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not in the near future. The business model for most home providers does not account for that amount of bandwidth being utilized for such a fashion.
Even those providing higher levels (via fiber or GigE) to the homes do not consider that as 'fair usage' -- in spite of much larger uplink channels.

The near future will see more VE's (virtual environments) on larger scale systems, whereas a consumer will have absolute control over what appears to be a complete system when in reality it's a virtual environment. This will keep costs low, and margins high permitting hosting providers to supply an almost unlimited number of customers merely by tossing in a new lpar.
Middleware will provide a key component to adequate load-balancing through distributed architecture.

That's my $.02.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Middleware will provide a key component

Now there is a true blue statement if I've ever heard one :)

Got to agree with you - virtual environments accompanied with managed environments - turning IT into a utility is a more likely scenario then moving hosting to home based solutions -

I would think you would see an "internet" bill along with the phone and electric bill before you see this move into the home...
  • rDolay
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • rDolay

Post 3+ Months Ago

sofy60 wrote:
The future of hosting

Who thinks websites will be hosted on the home pc one day ? When is this day coming ?

If you understand only data hosting from "hosting" this has been already appeared .

But if you think today hosting is the name of "web based applications" , data hosting and e-mail services. No never, as long as we have the web sites, hosting services will be.
  • iBrood
  • iBrood

Post 3+ Months Ago

sofy60 wrote:
The future of hosting

I see computing becoming more decentralised in the future instead of centralising, so I think that hosting will remain in data centers, but by 2010 I say it would cost next to nothing for a do-it-yourself becuase an internet connection would be a necessity.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

iBrood wrote:

I see computing becoming more decentralised in the future instead of centralising, so I think that hosting will remain in data centers, but by 2010 I say it would cost next to nothing for a do-it-yourself becuase an internet connection would be a necessity.

I sincerely doubt it. Everything is cyclic; technology is no different. We went from "terminalized" mainframes and mini's to decentralized, replaceable units and now we're headed back towards a more central system offering virtual controls.

While having a wireless loop broadband access account will be far more ubiquitous, less consumers will require serving architectures in the home. Permit me to explain.
While bandwidth will increase AND whereas the use of various broadband wireless technologies (terrestrial loop, GSM, WWAN, etc.) will replace wired networking, becoming the de facto standard for *access*, the need for serving will be reduced too all but extreme hobbyists.
Middleware will permit an easily understood layer of abstraction between applications and end-users. The use of virtual environments will eventually become the norm; adding new customers will take seconds and require no manual intervention and will be the equivalent of buying a new box, loading your OS of choice, building out the applications and altering DNS records to point at the various offerings.
This will lower overhead (man-hours) and increase productivity to such a degree that the cost for an average small business environment will be trivial. Certainly compared to that of actually accomplishing said work on-site.

That's how I see it anyway. ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts