• boop
  • Born
  • Born
  • boop
  • Loc: new york

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,
Happy to have found this forum.
I have a website that deals in vintage movie posters, nothing too huge or demanding. For some strange reason, every single day, the site either glitches or pure and simple goes down for various amounts of time.
Is it the hosting company's fault, is it the server we are hosted on, or just my bad luck.
Anybody has any recommendations?
Please help.
Thanks,
B
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• hostingking
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

unless your hosting is Free then yes it is the hosting companies fault. Although you have to allow a little bit of downtime most hosing companies will guarantee 99.9% uptime.

As for the glitches this might be the host of it might be your website. but if your finding your website is going down every day its probably best you change your hosting company.

J
  • boop
  • Born
  • Born
  • boop
  • Loc: new york

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi J,

Thank you for your input on this.
My hosting isn't free and by my calculations, the downtime is way over what would be considered acceptable. As I was saying, it happens every day, sometimes more than once a day and more than 10 minutes each time.
A technician with the hosting company is suggesting placing my site on a dedicated server, but now that I am thinking it might be the company's problem, how will a dedicated server solve the problem.
When you say it might also be my site, what do you mean ?
What would you base your diagnosis on ?
Thanks,
B
  • hostingking
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only reason I think it might be you site is because you mentioned glitches which i assumed occured while looking through your site.

As for a dedicated server. I can't think of any reason why you would need one unless you are using a loads of both disk space and trasfer. But then the only excuss for you hosting going down would be because you've reached your bandwith limit.

Its probably best you change your hosting provider cause it sounds like your current one is far to unpredictable.

J
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

rather than bandwidth, hostingking, since the forum is on a shared server, I would be more inclined to think that the server is under heavy load. I've seen this happen at both OZZU and my own forum. It's like you click a link, or go to make a post and the page looks like it tries to load, and it just sits there and sits there not doing anything. Eventually you might get a connection refused or could not find server error message. That's when the server resets itself and comes back to life. Bigweb exlained this to me as he manages the OZZU server himself. Frequently it's archivers putting a strain on the database server.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is most likely the reason that the host recommended a dedicated server. In which case switching hosts will only help if the site is being hosted on some mega overseller or incompetent host.

ATNO/TW wrote:
rather than bandwidth, hostingking, since the forum is on a shared server, I would be more inclined to think that the server is under heavy load. I've seen this happen at both OZZU and my own forum. It's like you click a link, or go to make a post and the page looks like it tries to load, and it just sits there and sits there not doing anything. Eventually you might get a connection refused or could not find server error message. That's when the server resets itself and comes back to life. Bigweb exlained this to me as he manages the OZZU server himself. Frequently it's archivers putting a strain on the database server.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts