the perfect hosting setup - cannot find hosts (-_-)

• sentientsystem
  • sentientsystem

Post 3+ Months Ago

i figured it's best to make this into a thread, so others could benefit. this follows a question i started here:
website-reviews/site-review-you-are-whiny-t108158.html

BWM referred me to this:
hosting/

i'm looking for the most economically feasible hosting solution possible, for a low budget startup.

my needs are as such:

* 2 dedicated servers with at LEAST 8gb RAM and at LEAST 500gb HDD and at LEAST a 4-core 64-bit CPU running on fedora 16 (or higher) or ubuntu 12 (or higher)
* 2 (dedicated or shared-but-lightly-loaded) servers with less memory and cpu, but UNLIMITED (or a LOT) of storage space (typically only found on "shared" hosts)
* 1 of each server-type must be in the united states
* 1 of each server-type must be in europe or asia - PREFERABLY in eastern europe or western asia or the middle east
* need to be VERY affordable

not asking for much, right? lmao (-_-)

the 2 powerful servers will be used to process videos and images (transcoding and resizing), and the result will be pushed onto the storage servers. having every thing split between 2 locations ensure high speed delivery and ~load-balancing for the entire world. i can live with both WORKER servers being in the U.S., but i MUST have at least 1 STORAGE server in asia or europe.

i do not mind using multiple hosts - i EXPECT that. would you guys happen to recommend any place? i've googled this for a long time and it's REALLY hard to find a good place in europe or asia, because i'm SEARCHING from the united states. i found one GREAT host in germany, but they accept EVERY ONE else except americans - go figure (-_-).

i have considered colocation, but, it may not be as cost effective in the beginning, because i'd still need STORAGE solutions, and would have to BUY all the parts for the 2 WORKER servers.

thanks in advance
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well we could meet your needs, however, that would be much more than a zero dollar plan unfortunately ;) Also do you plan to manage your own servers, or do you need that too?

We have access to datacenters in Western Eurupe (Amsterdam), Southeast Asia (Singapore), and of course the United States.

Pretty much can do everything you need, but probably not for the price you want if you are wanting free or near free.
  • sentientsystem
  • sentientsystem

Post 3+ Months Ago

i didn't litterally mean "near free", but, > 200$ per-month-per-server is too much, considering i will need at LEAST 3 servers (1 worker and 2 storage - but ideally i would have 2 workers and 2 storage). if i could find 4 servers (2 workers and 2 storage) for under 400$ per month, i would be delighted. i don't really EXPECT to find that, though (o_O).

the biggest problem is the STORAGE servers. i can get a powerful dedicated server in asia and namerica from godaddy, but i can't really find an acceptable match for my storage-requirements-to-budget ratio in ANY country, let alone asia or europe (except for that german company who doesnt accept americans).

those locations you mentioned were excellent - actually, they were PERFECT.

the other thing is: do any of those locations have good deals on STORAGE capacity? at MINIMUM, the asian/european servers do not need to be powerful, but, they DO need to have a large storage capacity. but if i could find one with large storage capacity, and another one (even from the same host) that's also powerful, that would be ideal.

and, obviously, bandwidth costs and limitations are going to be another factor in this - yay for that (o_O)

oh, and i can manage my own servers - no problem there, as long as i have SSH access ;)

thanks
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a little curious, what site is this for that you need 4 servers to run it at peak performance lol. must be some half decent traffic to accommodate that?
  • sentientsystem
  • sentientsystem

Post 3+ Months Ago

jezus, how many posts do i need to have to be able to post a link (o_O)?

===edit===
evidently "7" is not the answer (o_0)

anyway, the site is evve .me
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think it is 10, but i love the presentation but the navigation for content could be expanded. I see from your post that you want lots of space but from the site i see that it is on a auto play. May just need to explore more but everything looks great apart from navigation.

I would suggest making a post in the web site review section, you may get some detailed opinions from people. I like the idea but i see it could be more.

nice work :)
  • sentientsystem
  • sentientsystem

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm probably misunderstanding your post, but it appears as if you may be assuming that site is evve. if so: THAT is not "evve", that is just the "about page / what evve stands for / some of the things its trying to prevent / solve / accomplish".

evve itslef it completely separate, and nothing like the typical "website", and can not coexist with a standard website.

i might consider making a post over in the reviews area. thanks for the tip.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am close to the prices you are looking for, but just not quite there. I could get you:

Quad Core Xeon 2.4 Ghz
Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit)
8 GB Ram
500 GB Sata II Hard Drive
5000 GB Bandwidth on 100 Mbps

For $285, you would manage the server, and would have root access. For the lightly loaded servers with much more hard drive space, I could do the same specs except 4GB of ram for:

$219 with 500 GB hard drive
$269 with a 1 TB hard drive
$279 with a 2 TB hard drive
$299 with a 3 TB hard drive
$319 with a 4 TB hard drive

Can also add multiple hard drives if you need more space than that. These were all for Sata II. We also can provide SATA Raptor 10k RPM, SA-SCSI 10k RPM, SA-SCSI 15 RPM, and SSD hard drives (might be good for the loaded servers).
  • sentientsystem
  • sentientsystem

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info BWM.

i'm thinking that right now the 319$ storage servers + the option to add more hard drives might be what i end up using for my storage servers. i wonder -if it gets big quickly enough- if there may later be an option to upgrade at a discounted rate (eg 100TB @ 2$k). lol, obviously, storage is a MAJOR concern - i'm afraid to even TRY to launch, just because of that.

it's gonna be at least 2 months before i'm ready, but i've got this in my bookmarks, so that i can find it again when i'm ready, and come back and get the details from you on how to get started and to get you CREDITED for your referall (if you're referring me to some one else). also, i assume that this is available in europe or asia? thanks again!
  • demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

heres an idea.. Get a single BIG server that can do what ever you want and either put Proxmox or VMWare ESXI

that way you can get everything you want and it could be prossible cheaper...
  • Snerdey
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

With that kind of traffic, money should not be an issue :)
  • postcd
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • postcd

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may try ovh dot com/us, they have some 8GB server in stock currently.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts