Voting Chart

Total votes : 9

Should Free hosting include banners for the providers?

Poll ended at November 22nd, 2006, 3:27 am.

•  
    No, if its free, it should be free!
  •  
    Yes, I think the Providers also deserve something

The Truth About Free Hosting

• xalixo
  • xalixo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Free Hosting is not free, there is ever a catch. I just dono why people never understand this. I mean there just has to be a catch! I remeber when we started offering free hosting a few months ago, and we put banners at the bottom of the pages, you would be surprised at how many complaints we got everyday from people screaming at us to remove the banners! Yet we were offering very meany features, including Php and MySQL! Its crazy the way people want it all for nothin at all in exchnge! :shock:

Please answer in the poll below what you think 8)
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some hosting is free with no banners, But they are unreliable.
Anything that is free isn't going to be as good as something you have to pay for. If you pay for hosting the company has an obligation to have as much uptime as is possible, With free hosting the host can turn off the server, delete your site or do anything they like and you don't have a leg to stand on.

I guess the catch with all free hosting is that the host has no obligation what so ever to ensure the server is up.
  • xalixo
  • xalixo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Obvoiusly that is one of the advantages of a free host, no obligation. But I dont think I would call it a catch.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Free hosting comes in two categories as far as I am aware, the hosts which are trying to promote their services by attracting attention through free hosting and the hosts which are just offering free services. If the host also offers paid plans they tend to be slightly more reliable. But you do get what you pay for. I mean if a free client and a paid client both ask tech support a question guess who is going to get an answer asap? the paid client of course. On the other hand their are some great free hosting plans out there. Just as an example I am currently offering free hosting to attract potential clients. I am offering subdomains with unlimited bandwith storage ect. for free because I get the benefit of increasing my brand awareness. NowI obviously have a vested interest in keeping the sites up as much as possible because they are on the same server with my site. Now if I was just offering free services I would not be able to proivde the same level of reliablility because lets face it it all comes down to being able to how much money the host has to buy new equipment pay for the internet conection ect. One of my big complaints about the current hosting situation is that there are deals like "2.99 per a year!" and people get all excited. There is no way that a hosting company is going to be able to provide a reliable service for this low a price. Just remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • articlehorizon.com
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

xalixo wrote:
Free Hosting is not free, there is ever a catch. I just dono why people never understand this. I mean there just has to be a catch! I remeber when we started offering free hosting a few months ago, and we put banners at the bottom of the pages, you would be surprised at how many complaints we got everyday from people screaming at us to remove the banners! Yet we were offering very meany features, including Php and MySQL! Its crazy the way people want it all for nothin at all in exchnge! :shock:

Please answer in the poll below what you think 8)

I guess you should not call it free hosting, because the client pays you by promoting your ads.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If people want good reliable service they need to give the host something in exchange, unfortunately we cant keep offering services without any money. I dont know about everyone else but it takes money to keep my websites and servers up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts