There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's

• taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got this error message

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: testing from trang
Sent: 10/12/2004 2:13 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

person@something.org on 10/12/2004 2:13 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<###.###.###l #5.5.0 smtp;554 Validating Sender>

I checked everything but couldn't figure out what's wrong. Please help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This might be of help
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... us;q300171
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. I read it through and did the test that was given. I didn't find any problem with it. I did a little search online and was given advice about DNS lookup zone. I'm not sure what it means but look over the forward and the reverse zone, I found in reverse zone has multiple value for one ip address as oppose to forward where there is single ip address to one name. Is it possible to have that? I'm new to this and highly appriciate for your kindly reponse.

Tara :)
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

A 554 is merely a transaction failed code -- generic in the extreme, I know. However, it is supposed to provide additional data as to the failure.
Sender validation is something that Microsoft and the earlier SPF sponsored. However, I think it's still before the IETF and not widely in use.

Is this a case of you sending email from your computer at home to someone you know? Or some page scripting?
Going to need to know some more about this before we can move forward. Also, sending me the address would help so I may test against it -- I promise not to spam it. :)

Cheers.
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Daemonguy,

Actually this is from work. Our mail is hosted by a third party and we also have someone installing the server exchange on our server. My email is tara@theaceproject.org. I'm able to send out email but the situation happen intermittently. Even when i try sending it internally which uses tara@ace.local. I got the same error message when I try sending it to people with name@theaceproject.org too. Just remember, it doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks a bunch for all the helps,

Tara
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK so here's what I have thus far -- and it's not much.

You own a domain and use verio to host. They also maintain your MX records for mail, thus all mail incoming or outgoing must pass through them, or relay.

Here's what I got on your MX record;
Code: [ Select ]

shuriken# nslookup
Default Server: tao.shinobi
Address: 192.168.43.1

> set type=mx
> theaceproject.org
Server: tao.shinobi
Address: 192.168.43.1

Non-authoritative answer:
theaceproject.org    preference = 50, mail exchanger = mail-fwd.mx.verio-web.com

Authoritative answers can be found from:
theaceproject.org    nameserver = ns11b.verio-web.com
theaceproject.org    nameserver = ns11a.verio-web.com
ns11b.verio-web.com   internet address = 161.58.148.98
ns11a.verio-web.com   internet address = 161.58.148.38
  1. shuriken# nslookup
  2. Default Server: tao.shinobi
  3. Address: 192.168.43.1
  4. > set type=mx
  5. > theaceproject.org
  6. Server: tao.shinobi
  7. Address: 192.168.43.1
  8. Non-authoritative answer:
  9. theaceproject.org    preference = 50, mail exchanger = mail-fwd.mx.verio-web.com
  10. Authoritative answers can be found from:
  11. theaceproject.org    nameserver = ns11b.verio-web.com
  12. theaceproject.org    nameserver = ns11a.verio-web.com
  13. ns11b.verio-web.com   internet address = 161.58.148.98
  14. ns11a.verio-web.com   internet address = 161.58.148.38

Not surprisingly, it's the same two IP's for web etc. ;)

The problem may be that all mail is forced through this relay bridge, and some recipients simply do not accept relayed mail. They view it as possible spam, and reject it.
Does this happen, as you say, intermittently but with the same recipient? That is to say, can you send a mail to person A, have it fail, then <some variable amount of time [preferably a prime number] of minutes> later have it succeed?

That would throw a new wrinkle into the mix. For a faster answer, I would have your IT folks, or you -- so designated because you had the courage to ask about it :) -- call Verio and ask about this sort of problem. Chances are they have seen it before and could easily place their fingers on it. (Or, perhaps the reason you are installing your own mail servers is *because* of issues such as this. )

I will continue to dig though. :)

Cheers.
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks,

I'll will call verio up and ask them again. I called them many times about this but they blam on our ISP and ISP refered me back to them again. I have no clue of who should responsible for this. I'll get back and let you know what happen.

Thank you :D
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I contacted verio yesterday and they did some testing with their server. They said the traffic is clear is the problem must be on our server exchange. There is nothing they can do. They asked me to check the dns lookup and see if the email routing is correct. I really don't know what to look for. Please give me some advise.

Thanks 4 all helps.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

taranguyen08 wrote:
Hello,

I contacted verio yesterday and they did some testing with their server. They said the traffic is clear is the problem must be on our server exchange. There is nothing they can do. They asked me to check the dns lookup and see if the email routing is correct. I really don't know what to look for. Please give me some advise.

Thanks 4 all helps.

OK wait a sec. You have your own mail server in place?

Here's something to check;
What mail program do you use? (Outlook, Outlook Express?)
In that program, open your accounts section and tell me what outgoing and incoming mail server you connect to.

Here's what I am thinking. You guys run a mail server for your employees, but you don't have mail services so you relay that mail out to Verio which in-turn takes it and processes the data. They may however, leave your headers in place, which when someone does a reverse check will not show up, since you do not run mail services, just a server. I know this sounds complicated. Basically your mail server may be acting like a mailman, taking your mail, and delivering it to the Post Office (Verio) as you live in a rural area without standard mailing addresses -- odd analogy I know, but go with me. So the postman takes the mail, and also knows where the mail goes back to should any return. However, the people at the post office, and certainly at the receiving end do not know or have never heard of your address. If they take the time to look it up, they see it is invalid and throw your letter away -- or send it back to the local post office, who hand it to the postman who knows who you are and delivers the return. (Whew). Any of that make sense?

Of course, I could be wrong... but without some more information it's nearly impossible to get an accurate shot right off the bat.

Drop me that additional info, and we'll see.

Cheers.
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are absolutely right. Our IT set up a server exchange system. All of our incoming or outgoing emails have to go through server xchange for processing then go through Verio to send out. It's pretty weird. I don't know why they do that. We are able to access our email using webmail as well and verio believe it is our problem because through webmail, we have no problem sending email back and forth. They believe the exchange server is not setting up correctly or the routing email to the correct address is not cofigured properly. One thing i don't understand is that it just happen intermittently and to different users at different time.
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Other info. We use outlook and some use outlook xpress. Another weird thing, I checked some machine, the it people set static ip directly to verio mail because they couldn't configure it though dns. Don't know why. Gateway people setup our system with exchange server about a year ago and when I called them, I was told they are not responsible for the supports.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

taranguyen08 wrote:
You are absolutely right. Our IT set up a server exchange system. All of our incoming or outgoing emails have to go through server xchange for processing then go through Verio to send out. It's pretty weird. I don't know why they do that. We are able to access our email using webmail as well and verio believe it is our problem because through webmail, we have no problem sending email back and forth. They believe the exchange server is not setting up correctly or the routing email to the correct address is not cofigured properly. One thing i don't understand is that it just happen intermittently and to different users at different time.

Other info. We use outlook and some use outlook xpress. Another weird thing, I checked some machine, the it people set static ip directly to verio mail because they couldn't configure it though dns. Don't know why. Gateway people setup our system with exchange server about a year ago and when I called them, I was told they are not responsible for the supports.

"They" would probably be correct in that assumption.

By no means am I saying this is the answer, but have your IT person open the Exchange System Manager. Then navigate to global settings -> internet message formats. Right-click the default and choose properties. Have a gander at the advanced tab, make sure you have enabled what you need. Message forwarding and enabling by all IP's (though by default, "Allow all computers that successfully authenticate to relay..." should be checked.)

That person will need to go through those options, and see which ones need to be enabled or disabled as the case may be.

If your webmailer connects directly to verio, and your outlook client connects to your exchange server, your problem is definitely on the exchange side.

Cheers.
  • taranguyen08
  • taranguyen08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Daemonguy,

I'll will email our IT guys to check it. Since they are consultants, its very hard to reach them and we have to schedule time with them to come down all the time. I believe its our xchange that cause the problem. Ummm how do you give people points in this forum. let me know so I can give you guys credit on great advices and supports.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh, no worries. Just hope it works for you.

Cheers.
  • zach1981
  • Born
  • Born
  • zach1981
  • Loc: china

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have the exactly the same problem with you just now. one of our canadian client can not send their e-mail to us. however, our other clients have no question .i turned to our mail exchange server agent for help. the guy told me the reason. he use nslookup to find their DNS MX record. he suggest a way to solve this . our client should has their DNS configration resetting by adding a MX with the ip which is actaully used to send e-mail. another way is to use the same exchange server to the DNS to send their e-amil. or our exchanger server will regard it spam.
i hope this could help u/. :D
  • ishim
  • Born
  • Born
  • ishim

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very impress with Daemonguy understanding of the above problem.
I currently also encounter the same problem. I tried to send a email to a user of other domain but was return a NDR. It stated "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator" with a error code of "#5.5.0 smtp;5.11" But when i tried to send to another user within that same domain, the email went through. Can you please advise me whats the solution that i may try out? Hope to heard from you soon 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts