Thinking of switching hosts, any suggestions?

• RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently I'm hosted at http://www.lypha.com. I've run into a few snags there (server backlashes that set me back months of work) as well as upgrading issues. I'm thinking of moving to a new host.. but I haven't found any hosts that offer the same stuff lypha does.

I'd like to have at least 5000 MB of Space with high bandwidth (doesn't have to be unmetered).

I'd like it to have cPanel because I'm comfortable with it and I like the feel.

I need it to have domain pointers and parking (at least 5)

It should have unlimited mysql databases, sub domains, and emails.

As well as most of the features lypha has. Link.

I'd also prefer it to not be a reseller. I like to deal with the actual companies themselves.

Any great hosts that meet most if not all these features?

Thanks in advance.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I'd like to have at least 5000 MB of Space with high bandwidth (doesn't have to be unmetered).

- If you would like this much space then you may find hosts that provide this. But personally, the word oversell would come to mind. Especially if it is $6.95. However i have not got the right to criticize any host but i still hold this opinion.

Also, could you please define 'unmetered'?

Quote:
I'd like it to have cPanel because I'm comfortable with it and I like the feel.

- I use to think the same until problems started to arise as it is a little buggy. I installed a different control panel and it made the difference. But if you were to ask others what control panel they prefer, they would all come out with something different. This is an off-topic comment.

Alot of hosts now still use cPanel and is a very popular choice. So not to worry about this.

Quote:
I need it to have domain pointers and parking (at least 5)

It should have unlimited mysql databases, sub domains, and emails.

- Again could you please define 'unlimited' or 'unmetered'. This is simply impossible. Alot of hosts will give you the chance to add extra domains. If they dont then ask the host if this feature could be added for you. Contacting/Enquiry is usually the best way and it gives you a general idea of their response time too.

Quote:
I'd also prefer it to not be a reseller. I like to deal with the actual companies themselves.

Any great hosts that meet most if not all these features?

- What is wrong with a reseller? There is actually a topic on this very forum at the top. It's like a sticky topic. Read that and it should help you.

The above are just guidelines and helpful tips for you. A suggestion though would be to do a search on these forums for the other 1,000,000,000,000 [obviously not that much] topics on a similar level. With other users asking for suggestions.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nem wrote:
Also, could you please define 'unmetered'?

I'm assuming they mean they won't charge or take you offline at a certain bandwidth limit. All they say is unmetered.

Quote:
- Again could you please define 'unlimited' or 'unmetered'. This is simply impossible. Alot of hosts will give you the chance to add extra domains. If they dont then ask the host if this feature could be added for you. Contacting/Enquiry is usually the best way and it gives you a general idea of their response time too.

In this case it would mean a very high number. My host currently gives me 999 MySQL Databases, Sub-Domains, and Email accounts. They consider that unlimited and I felt that was implied. Sorry.

Quote:
- What is wrong with a reseller? There is actually a topic on this very forum at the top. It's like a sticky topic. Read that and it should help you.

From what I've seen many hosting companies will sell reseller plans. Individuals will pick up these plans on either offer the same price or a slightly higher price than the original seller. I'd like to get the best bang for my buck and it seems to me that the original seller will be as cheap or cheaper than the reseller. Not only that but I like it when my host has control over their servers (physical control).

Quote:
The above are just guidelines and helpful tips for you. A suggestion though would be to do a search on these forums for the other 1,000,000,000,000 [obviously not that much] topics on a similar level. With other users asking for suggestions.

Back when I was first starting out I spent many hours spread out over many weeks looking for the right host. I was hoping to avoid spending that much time, which is why I made this topic. I was hoping someone would come along and suggest certain hosts they've seen or their own personal host. I'll look through the forums but I'd be really appreciative if someone could offer some suggestions for me to check out. I would really like to get my site up and running at full strength asap.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moderators on this forum would really just lock this topic to avoid spam. But what i was trying to say when i mentioned unmetered or unlimited is that it is impossible to have unlimited of those.

No host would like to have 999 forums on one account running on there server.

Remember, it is always worth going that extra buck. Don't run for the cheapest deal as this is where people usually run into problems. Although i believe this forum is affiliated with 'Hostgator' so maybe if you try them. Don't forget to see there reviews before going ahead with them though.

Resellers have the ability to see how the servers are performing. Who knows, maybe the resellers provide better support than those actually owning the servers?

I understand your problem IMHO. There are far too many hosts and you dont know which one to go for. But still i wish you the best of luck with your search and hope you find one that suits you. I can't give a list of hosts though because im not sure if that would be violating this websites rules.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you send me a PM with those hosts to get me started?

And thanks for all your help Nem.
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem

Post 3+ Months Ago

PM sent. Hope it helps.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Rockman,

Quote:
I'd like to have at least 5000 MB of Space with high bandwidth

This is really dependant on budget - quality service comes at a cost, and these are lofty expectations of resources - especially if you actually need to use this much - which, based on your posts, you do actually "need" this much (vs just shopping for specs)

Quote:
I've run into a few snags there (server backlashes that set me back months of work)

Unfortunately, this type of experience is common for hosts that oversell their resources (especially if youre hosting applications, etc...)

May I ask what your budget is for the kinds of resources you are looking for?

If you PM me, I can certainly recommend some excellent cpanel hosts (theres a few that frequent this forum as well, so, if you check signatures, you may find some good options :) )

Hope this helps...
  • mabdr2
  • Student
  • Student
  • mabdr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, anything unlimited or unmetered is a *WARNING* sign of things to come.

They want to pack their server with as much as they can...keep milking the company

and jerk the customer around, when it comes time for support.
  • chris_j
  • chris_j

Post 3+ Months Ago

I completely agree with mabdr2.
Overselling more than a certain extent is a real bad thing to do.
And UNMETERED serices are a definite no-no, because they don't give us a picture of their real capability.
  • SnailDev
  • Student
  • Student
  • SnailDev

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is exactly was my question , Rockman . Extra one thing i need is ASP support.

Thanks for showing the link of hostgator Nem. I got really surprised to see the control planel options. Currently I am with brinkster. Their control panel is n't good. But unfortunately this hostgator doesn't have ASP support.

Can anyone help me to find a good ASP supported, with atleast 3-4 mysql databases and with 5 add on domians with a good tech support and reliable.

Thanks in advance

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts