Is this a common problem

• genie
  • genie
  • Loc: midwest

Post 3+ Months Ago

My webspace host uses a shared server. I have two websites hosted on this server and I go to several other sites that are hosted on it.

I recently switched ISPs in order to get dsl. Presently, I can not access any sites on this server, including my own website. I have not had access all day long. This has been happening quite frequently this past week. I contacted my isp and they said everything appears to be working from their end. The tech support person was quite impressed with my knowledge of dns settings and that I had already disconnected all of the computers from the router and left them and the router powered down for several hours. I sent a message to my webspace provider and he's yet to get back to me. This was about 4 days ago. I sent another message this morning.

I can get everywhere else on the internet, except for sites on this server. I know that the server is working because my yahoo account can access and retrieve my email from that server.

I am seriously considering switching webhosts. I like what eagerhost has to offer. My question is whether this problem is a webhost or ISP problem.
TIA.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

the web server (apache i'm assuming) can go down without there being any problem with what you're using for email. So, I'd assume that it is most likely your host is having some issues with apache. See what they say and, ask a friend or someone to access the site and see if it's up for them at the same exact time it's down for you.
  • genie
  • genie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to say that it is running for everyone else. I have a friend that hosts a site there. He can access all of the sites that I can't. Sorry for not including that info in my original post. :)

I'm planning on offering webhosting to my web clients and this has my knees shaking. I can't design websites on spaces that I don't have access to. Y'know what I mean? :)

edit to say, that yes, this is an apache server.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Genie,

If the websites are accessible from other PC's, then this is most certainly an ISP issue.

Sounds like there is some cacheing or routing issue..

Try pinging your IP on the server from your dos prompt and see what you get...
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got that with my website for a while.. took like two weeks to work out, I was quite upset and in the meantime had to go through a proxy that I had to create for the purpose or access everything by IP.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
had to go through a proxy that I had to create for the purpose or access everything by IP.

Exactly - it really really does stink when this happens - but, it does happen - sometimes its the hosting providers fault - but, usually, its the ISP's cache or a disconnect on the routing...

Funny thing is - this was probably going to be my recommendation after seeing their trace route - but, you beat me to it :D
  • genie
  • genie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did three traceroutes and sent my host the results. It seems like everything goes great until after it reaches his network, then it times out with 100% packet loss.
He hosts on everyone's internet. I can reach them, but then it's nil. (or null if you prefer. lol)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts