traffic reporting

• pstrahm1
  • Born
  • Born
  • pstrahm1
  • Loc: Los Altos, CA & Lansdowne, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In 2003 I inherited my brother's website on classic Macs, ~gamba2/index.html on the Earthlink network. It is purely informational and nonprofit. Although I do not have the ability to maintain it, I want to make sure it remains accessible as long as there is interest in it. I have done this by simply continuing to pay the monthly fee for the Earthlink account.

Recently I discovered traffic reporting ("Urchin Visitor Reporting") provided by Earthlink. For the month of May there were 5,287 visitors, 7,363 page views, and 9,653 hits. This is far more than I would have expected given the subject matter; however, not being a classic Mac enthusiast myself, I don't have much of a feel for the level of interest.

I know little about how websites or the internet works.

Does "visitors" include just interested individuals, or could there also be some other kind of activity (such as robot) going on?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be a mixture, if you apply some analytic code on each single page you can monitor your real activity. Which Google does provide this service for free.
  • pstrahm1
  • Born
  • Born
  • pstrahm1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Zealous.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

np at all, post up if you have any questions about how to set it up.
  • pstrahm1
  • Born
  • Born
  • pstrahm1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zealous,

You said: "It would be a mixture, if you apply some analytic code on each single page you can monitor your real activity. Which Google does provide this service for free."

By "real activity" do you mean interested individual people (rather than robots, etc.)?

Also would the "analytic code" you mention be incorporated into the code for the web pages?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is some javascript code that Google monitors. every time there is activity the script would detect and report it back to Google for processing to show into your account and show what is going on with traffic.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts