Transferring domain : do I risk?

• joice
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • joice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was attracted by the option offered by marblehost.com - the company promises to add a year to the expire date of the domain name transferred to them. It sounds good, the more so because I intended to get a new hosting, but does (this) tranferring mean any risks?
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi joice,
Maybe it depends on which country do you locate...I mean, where do you buy your domain name.

Better to check the supplier policy and domain-name policy in your country.

I'm from China,as I know,the situation is totally different from USA.I intended to transfer my domain to Godaddy before, but the proccessure is quite complicated here.Long word to explain....
  • zhouyi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

About hosting, should be not a big deal to transfer. Kind of easy, but remember to backup your data before transferring.
  • prateekshawebdesign
  • prateekshawebdesign
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is always a risk with domain name....

but if the company is very big will godaddy.com then there is very less risk, as they mean good business..

just to save 10 USD per year..you transfer your most valuable assets, is not advisable

Sumeet Shroff
  • nazdrovia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nazdrovia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even we also provide that ! Free one year extension. It is not risky, if the company is a reputed one.

And marblehost.com seeems a good one. But their rates are certainly higher!
  • nazdrovia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • nazdrovia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just now I notice one thing: there are some limitations with the hosting account with them , esp wrt DB. Pl enquire them before finalizing
  • boilingpoint
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with thepoint of compny's reliability, but can say that marblehost.com is of those who are honest with the customers, which are makng the income. The company is present on the market for more than five years so I think in your situation transferring is a pure bonus.
  • ariyes_dp
  • ariyes_dp

Post 3+ Months Ago

its quite easy to get hosting but better take the backup of your data before transfering
  • hostrea
  • Loc: OH-IO

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is very easy to transfer a domain name. I would recommend transferring it to someone like namecheap. You will get a year extension and a free ssl certificate. If you do this then you wont be tied to a web host. Most hosts will charge you extra to transfer your domain to someone else.
  • Mrubin
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mrubin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't think Godaddy cant screw up, they have many times deleted and locked user from their domains. There is never a risk as long of the domain contact and information stays in your name.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I said it before, I will say it again; your domain registrar should NEVER be your web host. Always keep the two distinct; it's worth a few extra dollars.
If you have a conflict with your host, you can move far more easily by merely altering DNS records. If you have conflict with your name resolver, they won't be able to keep you from your content -- or "accidentally" lose it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I concur with Daemonguy. I had this problem with Interland who uses Melbourne IT, and let me tell you I got screwed and lost a domain name because of it. And in addition I looked briefly at marblehost and the registrar they use last night and at a glance they both look a little questionable to me. In particular a UK host, owned by a Czech? What's up with that?
  • richardparkes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Birmingham and Oxford - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you hst with a well known company like http://www.ontanet.com or http://www.godaddy.com or http://www.123-reg.co.uk etc then you should not have a problem...

ok ocasionally you do get the odd issue but make sure the domain is registered in your name... to many times i have clients who have had a friend register them and they are in the friends name rather than yours..

but a reputable company like the ones outlined above should look after your domains without any major issues and also provide you with a quality hosting package wherer the difference lies is in their support and how they handle questions and requirements

so check out if the company provides a passionate support.. not an ordianry support...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts