• Born
  • Born
  • jakeaust
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi -

I'm trying to understand the SOA.

Take the following example from Dig:

acousticsoul.net. 14440 IN SOA ns1.lovejoycreative.com. dnsmaster.acousticsoul.net. 1078936797 3600 600 1209600 3600

The "3600" at the end of the line is identified in documentation as the Minimum TTL, which I understand to be the most amount of time that any nameserver would cache the zone file.

However, what is the 14440 between "acousticsoul.net" and the "IN SOA"?

I was working with DataPipe on reducing the TTL on a domain and they adjusted it there.

Jake
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure that the SOA TTL (14440) specifies the time to live for the SOA record itself. The Minimum TTL is supposed to be the minimum amount of time that the nameserver waits before it grabs new data. This should always be set to lower or the same as your refresh value.
  • jakeaust
  • Born
  • Born
  • jakeaust
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found that there is the master TTL value at the top of the Zone File that, when changed, changes all the records in the file when you do a DIG query on the nameserver.

It seems to me that the master TTL is the one that governs the caching of all my DNS records on nameservers across the Internet (as long as they are following the rules)...not the Minimum TTL in the SOA record...but I could be wrong.

In any case, I've made everything 3600 for all my domains, since I am going to be physically moving them all soon.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, I know the SOA TTL will serve as the default for anything you fail to specify. The minimum TTL is a minimum too though...so unless you set your refresh to lower than the minimum TTL, they should be waiting at least the minimum TTL before getting new data.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts