University Business Help, online server knowledge needed

• jackg
  • Born
  • Born
  • jackg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone,

For one of my university projects we have to create a plausible new venture idea. My idea was an online calender software that calculates a university student's schedule automatically. We have to have all our expenses listed, I have already talked to someone who knows website costs and i do have an estimated cost for that. I want to know how much a server that would be able to hold all the data that will be inputted will cost.

I expect 6,000 students in a university to input their syllabus so the sever would have to be able to handle atleast that. What kind of sever should i go about investigating and how often would i have to update to a stronger server, like how many more students would cause an update. Any help would be appreciated. thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.answers.com/topic/blade-server-price-ibm

Go with one of the IBM Blade servers. The prices are on that site. There is no upgrade needed for about 10 - 15 years.
  • jackg
  • Born
  • Born
  • jackg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for that! My only concern is that a server costing only 5 grand wouldnt be enough to hold the massive amounts of information a large website would use. For example, i dont know if you have heard of WebCt, but its kind of like what i want to do. Ive tried to find the server that they use but havent had any luck.

Do you believe that one of those servers could hold information from over 6,000 students.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much space would each student need? The max for that server seems to be just under 300GB. When a company needs more storage or something to handle more traffic, they add servers & use load balancing. Maybe you would need three of them. You aren't going to find a million GB server.

In my opinion, nothing beats IBM mainframes when it comes to handling big projects like the one you have to design.
  • jackg
  • Born
  • Born
  • jackg

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for everything don, i really appreciate it, more then you can imagine. This is a big part of my grade and that was a big variable that i haven't figured out yet.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck with the project.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts