Unlimited hosting- Where is the catch?

• skyvia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • skyvia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am just curious... I have a account with bluehost and they say i can host unlimited websites, unlimited storage and bandwidth.

I am curious - where is the catch or loop.

I have 10 websites hosted and about 1-2 GB space used. My websites are low traffic websites

Do i need to worry about anything?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't worry about a thing right now.

The catch is your only allowed so much CPU time (Which is probably burstable, if others on the same server arn't using their share you can tap into it). Once your site starts to become to demanding for bluehosts shared hosting and starts to impact other users they can suspend your account with out notifying you.
  • pingpipe
  • Born
  • Born
  • pingpipe

Post 3+ Months Ago

With such a small amount of space used and low traffic you should be fine, but you might want to give a quick read of their Terms of Service to see how they define "unlimited".
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i do 5x more then anyone else on my server, my host loves watching my account to see how much it uses. I can keep the serverload from a calm 1.0-2.0 then i have seen it get up to 12.0 and i get locked out of cpanel as not even the password screen will load.

But my traffic averages 500,000 to 575,000 visits a month and 500gig of bandwidth and it is only pictures and html files.

So really until you start pumping traffic and getting into the 100,000's of visits a month on a regular basis your fine as a duck in water.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is several over selling, slow servers, hidden restrictions, getting booted for actually using too much, mysql errors.

Obviously unlimited is a scam, it's amazing people contribute to business that flat out lie to get business. I prefer to work with honest companies.

What if you had a ice cream store that said unlimited ice cream then you went in everyday and started eating a lot so they had to use fake ingredients to cover costs. But still you would eat too much so when no one was looking they grabbed you threw you out back and said never come back.

That is exactly what these companies are doing and people are eating it up.
  • googlecentos
  • Born
  • Born
  • googlecentos
  • Loc: usa

Post 3+ Months Ago

never believe "unlimited", the fact is each resource is LIMITED. cpu, disk, memory, traffic, bandwith...
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing is unlimited. I have a reseller account with hostgator and still got a forum suspended because it used too much CPU. It didn't use bandwidth or server space (I could assign more anyway), so they blocked it for CPU usage. There's always a catch
  • sotu.ganguli
  • Born
  • Born
  • sotu.ganguli
  • Loc: Bhubaneswar

Post 3+ Months Ago

"UNLIMITED" is a catch word in Hosting Industry these days. Practically there is nothing UNLIMITED in the world except, SUN light and SEA water. :)

Well suppose you have 1TB of DATA and you want to host it in your unlimited account, will your hosting company allow you to do so. We'll know that a 1TB HDD costs around $200.00 then how can you get access to a resource like that paying $5 or $10 per month.

The meaning of UNLIMITED is, you can use this hosting for genuine data, and a simple website, few mails. Etc. They can't allow you to host your craps in such an expensive server. It's better to get a hosting from a place, where the hosting company gives you realistic diskspace rather they diclare unlimited. Also Realistic Diskspace package costs more, but they usually stay up maximum time and speed of the server uses to be fast as well.
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

sotu.ganguli wrote:
We'll know that a 1TB HDD costs around $200.00 then how can you get access to a resource like that paying $5 or $10 per month.

Well now, be fair: typically you only see the word "unlimited" (and finite impossibly large amounts) used on shared-server packages, so they expect that multiple people will be paying for the space on one server, and none of them will be using anywhere near their plans full allowance of space (i.e. one terabyte) - beyond that, even if someone DID use that much space (while avoiding the aforementioned CPU limits and such), it wouldn't matter because that space would be coming out of some unused by another customer on the same server.

...also - data is getting cheap WAY faster than you're giving it credit for: a one TB hard drive can run about a hundred bucks these days, and most hosts are buying that kind of thing in bulk so they'd likely get it even cheaper.
  • daniels_fe
  • Born
  • Born
  • daniels_fe

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have low traffic on the sites you dont need to wory, the catch is wen you start having traffic
  • scavy
  • Born
  • Born
  • scavy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes when you will start receiving traffic your site would be suspended and you would be asked to upgrade the plan... :D
  • scavy
  • Born
  • Born
  • scavy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because there is no such thing as Unmetered bandwidth It's not rocket science. Any data centre, no matter how large, always has a limited capacity. Ever seen a hard disk with infinite storage?.. :D
  • jackofdiamonds
  • Born
  • Born
  • jackofdiamonds

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got an unlimited account too with another provider.

They explain it this way: The majority of people do not use very much space for their website. And if they run low on space they can easily buy another terabyte for $40 or whatever.

So they let people use whatever amount of space they want. If one account gets huge, they ask if they can move them to a dedicated server, I think they called it VPS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts