Unlimited Websites or unlimited domains?

• sharanbrar
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Punjab (India)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was just checking out the hosting packages on some websites.

I saw this on some sites "Host Unlimited Domain Names"
OR
Number of Domain Names : Host Unlimited Domain Names

I want to know, does this mean having a single website and unlimited number of domain names pointing to that website.
OR does it mean that i can host unlimited websites on that single account with different domain names for these websites?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

The second one (usually).
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I want to know, does this mean having a single website and unlimited number of domain names pointing to that website.
OR does it mean that i can host unlimited websites on that single account with different domain names for these websites?

It means you can host as many domains as you like - each with their own websites or redirecting to other sites.

However, let me ask you this? would you want your sites hosted on a server with "unlimited" domains - not sure what unlimited means, as apache and IIS certainly have some sort of limit - but, lets word it this way - would you want your sites to be on a server with 1000, 2000, 3000 or more other sites?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well why not? I mean, it depends on the content of the sites, their popularity, whether they're database-driven, etc. (referencing here your recent conversation with Truce, I think). I wouldn't like for a host to limit what I put on their server, as long as I don't use more than my allocated resources and jeopardise the integrity of the sites with which I'm sharing the server. My current sites, for example, are static HTML jobbies. No Flash, no Java, no databases, no forums. I think they probably take up a coupla megs each right now. Should I not be allowed to put as many of those up as I want, as long as I'm within my disk space/bandwidth allocation?
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Should I not be allowed to put as many of those up as I want, as long as I'm within my disk space/bandwidth allocation?

No - at least any sensible network admin wouldnt allow it.

Cant have it both ways - something needs to be limited - and if you are buying huge plans, on oversold servers AND you want to add as many domains as you can possibly squeeze on there - well, this is a recipe for disaster.

Besides, just because you may only be using static, small html sites, doesnt mean everyone else on that server will. Let me ask you how happy you would be if another customer on that server, loaded up 100 or more data base driven applications and was using all 10 GB disk space and 100 GB bandwith they purchased - heck, they purchased the space right?
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Order what you need, not what is designed to appeal to human greed. Trust the latter is often not a better deal.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts