Uptime monitoring

• hermit
  • Born
  • Born
  • hermit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder if anybody uses any website monitoring services? Which one is better. Does anybody use serviceuptime?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

We use both Keynote (http://www.keynote.com) and Gomez Networks (http://www.gomez.com).

With this distributed style, we're able to see more than simply 'uptime'. We're provided with a much better overview of how response time has changed over time via metrics, alerting, scripting to dig deep into an application-enriched site and so much more.

That's externally of course, which is what I am guessing you meant.
Internally we use Tivoli, of course. ;)
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

siteuptime . com offers free monitoring and is pretty good.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Free monitoring programs often check your site every 20-60 mins. These intervals lack precision and grossly misrepresent a site's true uptime. Even paid monitoring services have been known to report false positives. We monitor internally and externally from at least three sources in 1-5 min intervals for redunancy and accurracy.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncensored-Hosting wrote:
Free monitoring programs often check your site every 20-60 mins. These intervals lack precision and grossly misrepresent a site's true uptime. Even paid monitoring services have been known to report false positives. We monitor internally and externally from at least three sources in 1-5 min intervals for redunancy and accurracy.

Er, Keynote uses over 200 sources from around the globe, testing connections to a specific URL directly from backbone providers.

Gomez uses fewer, but not by much.

As for 'false positives', I am not exactly sure what you mean. Either a URL is active, or it is not. While we may attempt to obtain a specific site via our own external network, it is not as inclusive nor as accurate -- globally speaking -- as an external service.

In other words, the chances for failure within our external connectivity is greater than that of 200+ backbone providers through correlation.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

False positives include but are not limited to reports of service interruption which can not be confirmed by other sources within the same network. Erroneous outage reports whether confirmed or not. of services that have not failed. I agree that testing from multiple places around the globe are critical and each of the 3 or more external networks we use has dozens of points around the globe to confirm suspected outages. We feel approaching the task from multiple vectors at 1-5 min intervals increases redunancy and accuracy.

Whereas services that only check every 20-60 mins or god forbid worse will not provide an accurate accounting of any sites uptime. Especially when the same could have been down for a 20-59 minutes before it's ever reported. Likewise the server may have been restored 5 mins ago and remain unchcecked for another 20-59 mins.

Daemonguy wrote:
Uncensored-Hosting wrote:

Er, Keynote uses over 200 sources from around the globe, testing connections to a specific URL directly from backbone providers.

Gomez uses fewer, but not by much.

As for 'false positives', I am not exactly sure what you mean. Either a URL is active, or it is not. While we may attempt to obtain a specific site via our own external network, it is not as inclusive nor as accurate -- globally speaking -- as an external service.

In other words, the chances for failure within our external connectivity is greater than that of 200+ backbone providers through correlation.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting
  • Loc: Wishing I was in Kicking Horse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Daemonguy wrote:
We use both Keynote (http://www.keynote.com) and Gomez Networks (http://www.gomez.com).

Hey Daemonguy,

Thanks for the resources. I have been looking for a robust solution like this for quite some time and it looks as if keynote will fit the bill..

Alot of the "bargain" type monitoring solutions (like siteuptime), often yield false reports, as they are pinging from a single location (choice of multiple locations, but ultimately, its a single location doing the reporting).

What you often see is service being reported as down during a heavy cron or backup schedule - which of course is unacceptable. Additionally, we have brought a resource down for maintenance, and the darn service still reports the resource is up - go figure...

Anyway, the tools most web hosts and network providers on these sorts of forums utilize are overall pretty unreliable and act as a general indication more then anything...

Keynote looks VERY promising...

Thanks again..
  • hermit
  • Born
  • Born
  • hermit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just searched for it with google and found a lot of such services, now I need to choose :)

For now, I think that http://www.serviceuptime.com is Ok for me.. 1 free monitor and flexible pricing if I will need more.. worldwide check locations..

Anybody knows it? seems it is a new service..
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

Serviceuptime is very similar to siteuptime and altera, etc

The majority of these typically act as a good indication - which honestly is enough for most people - however, once you need to do specific port monitoring, resource monitoring and actually rely on the data as mission critical information - these services simply dont cut it...

We still use siteuptime and have played with serviceuptime - it really should fit the bill for you until your requirements grow/change...
  • lestor
  • lestor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't they have custom TCP and SSL ports monitoring at serviceuptime? As I see there is custom tcp port monitoring on the first page.
  • CartikaHosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • CartikaHosting

Post 3+ Months Ago

lestor wrote:
Don't they have custom TCP and SSL ports monitoring at serviceuptime? As I see there is custom tcp port monitoring on the first page.

Yeah - so does siteuptime - again - not overly reliable or accurate
  • lestor
  • lestor

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah siteuptime does but only on paid accounts. i registered at serviceuptime and they allow all ports monitoring including custom port on free account.

would have to agree about custom ports that not that accurate though since they can't have and guess what rules should be used for check.
  • hermit
  • Born
  • Born
  • hermit

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks all!

So, I've finally chosen http://www.serviceuptime.com... Seems it is what I need. Their free accounts have almost no limitations... even SMS alerts is available!
  • lestor
  • lestor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, its been almost a month since I use serviceuptime and there seems to be no problems with them so far. I had one downtime last week and was alerted by SMS as well as email notification. I was kinda surprised when got sms message in 3 minutes after I shut down the server.

I also found one more free service but it's in beta now and i got no alerts from them yet.
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will never know about most outages that occur on your site/server. Afterall it's only being checked once every 60 mins. As I previously stated these intervals lack precision and grossly misrepresent a site's true uptime. Your site could have been down for 50 of the 59 mins before it was checked. Praising a 60min interval check and citing no problems are tantamount to a false sense of security.

Consider ... You have an alarm system on your home. It checks every 60 mins to see if there are any open doors or windows. You go on vacation and come back to burglarized home. Now you wonder how and when. They came in during the 59 minutes your home was unprotected and left the same way. Checking your site 24x (1hr) a day vs. 288x (5mins) a day gives you pretty lousy odds at catching your site down.

lestor wrote:
So, its been almost a month since I use serviceuptime and there seems to be no problems with them so far. I had one downtime last week and was alerted by SMS as well as email notification. I was kinda surprised when got sms message in 3 minutes after I shut down the server.

I also found one more free service but it's in beta now and i got no alerts from them yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts