use 2 hosts

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

would u be able to run my php pages on a host that supports php/mysql.and run the other pages of another server.
its because my php host dont have much space and my other host has loads. thanks

[fade][blur]D@N[/blur][/fade]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean link pages to your current site using the same domain? or do you mean host a whole seperate databse and link them across?
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

use a host that supports php to support my php files then use a host with out php to support every thing else . link between them
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the reason for general silence, is perhaps a bit of confusion on everyone's part.

Let's assume you know that you can place links to any other site on your site as you see fit. So we'll presume that it's got nothing to do with moving whole pages or even bits of content to an alternate location.
I am going to also assume what you wish to do is maintain the same host.domain name URL structure, throughout your URI's -- hence your query.

The quick answer is, yes.
We'll call the php host the main site, and alternate site 1, the host with the drive space.

It should be as simple as entering in your DNS a hostname for that particular IP, as provided by your alternate site host. For example, if alternate site 1 has an IP of 67.42.35.28, then an IN A record would be needed in your main site DNS record;
alt IN A 67.42.35.28

What this would resolve to is alt.yourdomain, which can be referenced easily. Now if the 'alt' part has you hung up, than it's simply a matter of using ProxyPass directives, say;
ProxyPass /altstuff http://<alt.domain>
Or vice versa.

Another, perhaps easier option would be to encapsulate into frames, then simply call content from the alt site to the main via a frame. However, let it not be said you could not simply call ANY content into a site from another one. It just helps if you own them both. ;)

Hope that helps; I know it's rudimentary.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this may sound a little, mmm simple, but if you resolve the domain to the php site would there be a great problem with having the other side of the page runnning either on a different domain or transfering this whole idea to a better host that provides all the features you require on one hosting package? lol sorry i understand this post dosn't exactly provide you with an answer but it does provide you with a couple of alternatives and as for costs being the problem I doubt it would be too expensive.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

rite that was not the best may to put it . my site is in html. and i want to run my php scrips (like polls and things) off the server with php.and i want to run my html off a server with out php(to save space on the php server)and put the php in useing iframes. is this ok to do. just wantto make sure it will work.
  • Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

dqualter wrote:
rite that was not the best may to put it . my site is in html. and i want to run my php scrips (like polls and things) off the server with php.and i want to run my html off a server with out php(to save space on the php server)and put the php in useing iframes. is this ok to do. just wantto make sure it will work.

Ahh. Yep. Should work just fine.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't see a reason why that wouldn't work, It would just be liking running a feed from another site, people do it with News Headlines etc..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts