i want to host the site from my computer

• pritesh_a
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pritesh_a
  • Loc: South London/UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im doing a college project....

i need to create and upload a web site, i want to host the site from my computer...WHAT DO I NEED? someone said somthing to me about Static IP address??

I have...
ASP web host...(1asphost.com)
Installed IIS on WinXP Pro
Access Database
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am not sure about windows servers, but some distributions of linux allow you to install most of the components you need from the installation disk.
  • phpservers
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • phpservers

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes you need a static IP - this is provided by your ISP.

a dynamic IP keeps changing and your nameservers wont know where to go :|
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

please use proper titles for your topics. Stating "hel me please" or
"quick reply!" is not a valid title. Thanks.
  • pritesh_a
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pritesh_a
  • Loc: South London/UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

my ISP is charging me for a static IP address, can i get 1 for free??? where from?
  • capetek
  • capetek
  • Loc: Massachusetts,USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well you dont really need a static ip, but it is usefull. If you dont have the funds for a static ip the best option is keep your dynamic ip and use a service like http://www.zoneedit.com They allow you to use thier services for free DNS and you can update your ip right through a gui(there are 3rd party windows programs that will detect a ip change and update it for you also). But i recomend using Windows IIS feature for what your using. its simple to use and even easier to setup.
  • Kally
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Kally

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do NOT need a Static IP. Also some ISPs prohibit Static IPs.

Just use http://www.no-ip.com (don't remove this link) and use their Dynamic Update Client. It updates the subdomain on No-IP whenever your IP changes.

Also, though a lot of people will disagree with me (about mixing Apache with Windows), I'd reccomend Apache Webserver ( http://www.apache.org ) over IIS.

Choice of webserver software really depends on your needs. But there's no need to ever pay for anything (except of course your internet access) :)
  • Sean Dempsey
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sean Dempsey

Post 3+ Months Ago

dyndns.org does this as well.

I host FTP, HTTP, and RDP from my home machine, I leave the ports closed most of the time, but when I want to let a friend download from me or something, I enable them.

My router even has a built in client to keep DynDns.org updated with my dynamic IP, so in essence, my domain always goes to my home machine.

Its very cool to be able to log into RDP or my router admin simply by typing in my domain ;)

and btw, I paid 25 bucks to dyndns.org to have a real .com domain forward to my dynamic ip....
  • discountdomains
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • discountdomains
  • Loc: Telford UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I kept my home PC switched on for 9 months straight without crashing / rebooting and managed to run a site on a dynamic IP.

Since moved to static but it can be done without the need for synchronising software.

Clare

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts